Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Diplomatically treacherous territory!!...RTE Report of president Higgins Statement on abortion legislation

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member irishpancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Westmeath enclave of Meath West
    Posts
    17,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Diplomatically treacherous territory!!...RTE Report of president Higgins Statement on abortion legislation

    Just wondering did anyone else hear RTE reporter say this on the 6 o'clock news......

    reporting on President Higgins statement regarding Abortion legislation, Paul Cunningham described Higgins statement as Diplomatically treacherous territory

    See the video report here:

    President says 'certainty' needed in abortion laws - RTÉ News

    around 1:37 into report, but the video is short, so listen for context, perhaps I misheard.

    Regardless of what Higgins said, I find that description rather odd.

    Does anyone agree??

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    40,807
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Wonder if the Red Dwarf is about to cause problems for the Stickies and FG?
    Regards...jmcc

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Eoin Coir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Can anyone say he is wrong ? RTE overplayed the matter.

  4. #4
    Moderator Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ithaca
    Posts
    20,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Wonder if the Red Dwarf is about to cause problems for the Stickies and FG?
    It certainly seems that he wants to sometimes. He made a few comments on economic policy that while in abstract stand in contrast to government policy.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    40,807
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    It certainly seems that he wants to sometimes. He made a few comments on economic policy that while in abstract stand in contrast to government policy.
    Perhaps he seems to believe that he was elected by an unrigged election. Could this be an O'Dalaigh V2.0 in the offing?
    Regards...jmcc

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If it's 'certainty' Higgins is after, what in God's name was he doing in Gilmore's Labour Party?
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post
    Just wondering did anyone else hear RTE reporter say this on the 6 o'clock news......

    reporting on President Higgins statement regarding Abortion legislation, Paul Cunningham described Higgins statement as Diplomatically treacherous territory

    See the video report here:

    President says 'certainty' needed in abortion laws - RTÉ News

    around 1:37 into report, but the video is short, so listen for context, perhaps I misheard.

    Regardless of what Higgins said, I find that description rather odd.

    Does anyone agree??
    It's not odd - RTE reporters are not very articulate in general; this is par for the course.
    Repeal the 27th.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    40,807
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    If it's 'certainty' Higgins is after, what in God's name was he doing in Gilmore's Labour Party?
    It would seem, to those into conspiracy theories, that shifting the Red Dwarf sideways into the Aras was useful. Having a dismal gobsh!te like Mitchell from FG as an opponent strengthened the chances he'd win. But when Gallagher looked like winning, he had to be nobbled by Labourites in RTE. Of course it is just a mad, phase of the Moon conspiracy theory and nothing like that would really happen in modern Ireland.
    Regards...jmcc

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member storybud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    During his campaign (which he needn't have bothered since HQ were so friendly with the Frontline staff) he constantly fudged the abortion issue and of course being so high up in the Liberal party (there simply no point in calling them Labour anymore) it was pretty obvious where his stance is.

    His response today was very opinionated towards abortion and so he is really close to the line and if he does commit "Stated misbehaviour" then impeachment is an option for the Oireachtas.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It would seem, to those into conspiracy theories, that shifting the Red Dwarf sideways into the Aras was useful. Having a dismal gobsh!te like Mitchell from FG as an opponent strengthened the chances he'd win. But when Gallagher looked like winning, he had to be nobbled by Labourites in RTE. Of course it is just a mad, phase of the Moon conspiracy theory and nothing like that would really happen in modern Ireland.
    Hhmmm. Not inconceivable by a long stretch.

    I never really expected that Higgins would shut the door of the Aras behind him and only reappear at rugby matches and on St Patrick's Day. Listening to his speeches when he's in full flight, it was always obvious that he doesn't like not expressing his opinions. He has lots to say on lots of things and a little thing like the Presidency isn't going to get in his way.

    This is one poet who ain't going to let the horseman pass by . . .
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •