Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Times makes 'xenophobia' slur against Irish-American community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New York Times makes 'xenophobia' slur against Irish-American community.

Many of ye will be familiar with the story of Breezy Point, a mainly Irish-American community in Queens, NY which was devastated by Hurricane Sandy in October last year. Such was the plight of the residents that - in a reversal of the diaspora-helps-motherland-theme, people in Ireland rallied to help them out. Recently, GAA players turned up to do their bit.

What's there to criticise in such a feelgood story of human helping human? Well, the New York Times isn't happy about Breezy Point.

[C]omplicating the current embrace from abroad is the gated community’s extreme insularity. Breezy Point is the whitest neighborhood in the city, a demographic makeup that critics say illustrates the enclave’s entrenched xenophobia, a dark flip side, perhaps, to all that ethnic pride.
    [...]
    It was once called an “an apartheid village” by the Rev. Al Sharpton during a protest. Steve Greenberg, the former chairman of the Breezy Point cooperative’s board, said that to his knowledge, no black family had ever held a share in the private community. Even in the days after the storm, volunteer firefighters in the community repeatedly told a visitor as she left to beware of the residents of Far Rockaway, the predominantly black neighborhood at the other end of the peninsula.
    The Irish Central website has hit back strongly against this slur on the residents of Breezy Point.

The facts are very different to this type of innuendo. The Irish community reached out to all residents in Rockaway, Black, Irish, Jewish, Italian and were encouraged to do so by those in Breezy and everywhere else.
    [...]
    It was clear from talking to people down there that many of the hardest hit areas were those where the African American community lived.

Many in Breezy Point made that point to me directly, that bad and all as they were, they had more resources than many of the poorest and hardest hit in other areas that were not Irish. I would say that was a constant refrain.

The two days of action were major successes. Up to 1,000 Irish took part and under the leadership of the Irish Consulate and the Irish immigrant centers as well as locals on the ground like former NYPD officer Brian McCabe, the community spread across the Rockaways, working in every area.

I spent a day visiting the sites and the appreciation and the thanks in the African American community was as heartfelt and welcoming as that which was received in Breezy.
    I've had a lot of respect for the NYT in the past but I don't understand why it's trying to stir s__t in what really seems to be a story of people of many different ethnic backgrounds helping each other. Is it just crass sensationalism?

Sources:
    1. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/ny...=nyregion&_r=0
    2. Defending the Irish community against racist claims in New York Times -- Same old story as Hurricane Sandy relief efforts questioned | Periscope Niall O'Dowd | IrishCentral
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember reading this and if that fool Sharpton is making taking a stand then common sense is usually on the other side. The real reason is taken from forgotten-ny.com

Residents argue that the reason for the whiteness isn’t racism as much as a low vacancy rate, which gives the few available homes to friends and relatives of existing longtime residents. Like any Manhattan co-op, applicants for Breezy Point must be recommended by existing members, meet certain income guidelines, have a clean crime record, and receive final approval by the co-op’s Board of Directors.

Because Breezy Point had a sizable contingent of police officers and firefighters, it felt a disproportionate impact from the 9/11 attack.

The Liberal mouthpiece that is the NY Times is always looking for an angle to hurl guilt and blame at people whom they despise, it is the liberal mantra, discredit even when there is no crime being committed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The story will turn out to be BS, and Sharpton will drop it like a hot brick and move on to his next mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    The story will turn out to be BS, and Sharpton will drop it like a hot brick and move on to his next mark.
    I don't think that Sharpton is involved now. I think he made that comment at some point in the past.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Al Sharpton is the last person I'd turn to for a reasoned view on American race relations.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A troubling story about Al Sharpton. - Slate Magazine

Breezy point is a small area which is occupied by extended families ,a lot of them being cops and fireman .Although insular I don't think it is overtly racist .A lot of neighborhoods ,white ,black,chinese,spanish ,jewish,italian etc...tend to congregate together and evolve over time .There are relatively few Irish enclaves remaining compared to times gone by,this is one of them.
    As for Al Sharpton ,he is the ultimate opportunist who lives very comfortably from his "community activism" and likes to throw accusations around without much thought.The above link is to a statement he made regarding Tawana Brawley who came forward to say she was gang raped by cops in the 1980's.Because she was smeared in human excrement(she later admitted it was a hoax) the Rev Al made statements linking the crime to Irish republicans because of the history of dirty protests in the H-blocks.I cannot understand why he still gets so much press,as opposed to others such as "Corrie Booker" mayor of Newark who does fantastic work .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And who elected Al Sharpton? That's right - no one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AL Sharpton is a racist full stop. when that kid got shot in Florida last year. Al Sharpton made damn sure that everyone knew it was a WHITE-latino that did it. and he made sure the word white was said loud and clear. Al needs their to be racism cause god forbid America moves on, people like Al will disappear.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Decide for yourself if you think the New York Times' own diversity in the newsroom reflects the diversity of New York city:

Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Desnyland View Post
    A troubling story about Al Sharpton. - Slate Magazine

Breezy point is a small area which is occupied by extended families ,a lot of them being cops and fireman .Although insular I don't think it is overtly racist .A lot of neighborhoods ,white ,black,chinese,spanish ,jewish,italian etc...tend to congregate together and evolve over time .There are relatively few Irish enclaves remaining compared to times gone by,this is one of them.
    As for Al Sharpton ,he is the ultimate opportunist who lives very comfortably from his "community activism" and likes to throw accusations around without much thought.The above link is to a statement he made regarding Tawana Brawley who came forward to say she was gang raped by cops in the 1980's.Because she was smeared in human excrement(she later admitted it was a hoax) the Rev Al made statements linking the crime to Irish republicans because of the history of dirty protests in the H-blocks.I cannot understand why he still gets so much press,as opposed to others such as "Corrie Booker" mayor of Newark who does fantastic work .
    According to the excellent documentary 'Street Fight', Sharpton campaigned for Booker's thuggish opponent (and now convicted felon) Mayor Sharpe James in Booker's first run for that job. I avoid his program on MSNBC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast