Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Black History Month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do you think of Black History Month?

Black History Month has been celebrated in Britain every October for nearly 20 years, and in USA in the month of February. The purpose of Black History Month is ostensibly to highlight and celebrate the achievements of black people and communities. BHM is also used to resurrect the injustices of the past such as slavery and segregation to name but a few.

What are your opinions on BHM? Is there still a need for BHM in USA in the context of Obama's presidency? Is it useful and fair to have a month dedicated to the achievements of black people alone? Should all minorities have their own history month? Perhaps we should celebrate BHM in Ireland also, seeing as we have a sizeable minority black population?

International author Maya Angelou appeared to agree when she explained in an interview, “We want to reach a time when there won’t be Black History Month, when black history will be so integrated into American history that we study
    it along with every other history,” according to Fox News. Morgan Freeman is also against BHM.

I don't believe BHM holds much value, other than to reaffirm divisions and relive past injustices.

Please share your thoughts.
    BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2013 | Essence.com
    The facts and nothing but the facts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Druidess View Post
    Black History Month has been celebrated in Britain every October for nearly 20 years, and in USA in the month of February. The purpose of Black History Month is ostensibly to highlight and celebrate the achievements of black people and communities. BHM is also used to resurrect the injustices of the past such as slavery and segregation to name but a few.

What are your opinions on BHM? Is there still a need for BHM in USA in the context of Obama's presidency? Is it useful and fair to have a month dedicated to the achievements of black people alone? Should all minorities have their own history month? Perhaps we should celebrate BHM in Ireland also, seeing as we have a sizeable minority black population?

International author Maya Angelou appeared to agree when she explained in an interview, “We want to reach a time when there won’t be Black History Month, when black history will be so integrated into American history that we study
    it along with every other history,” according to Fox News. Morgan Freeman is also against BHM.

I don't believe BHM holds much value, other than to reaffirm divisions and relive past injustices.

Please share your thoughts.
    BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2013 | Essence.com
    Irish History Month 2012
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A load of divisive tosh, if you ask me. History is history- not to be viewed through prisms.

Black's not really my colour. I'm waiting for Blue History Month.

Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I agree. I usually ignore BHM, irrelevant to me. And it does "reaffirm divisions and relive past injustices" as you say.

I know that my local schools teach black history and the (black) students know more about that than mainstream history. I think that would make it harder for them to move into mainstream society as they are taught they should be proud of their past and how well they survived, but they are still "other". English (mainstream) history is not their history.

History varies from country to country. English History barely mentions the Dutch invasion up the Thames a couple of centuries ago. It is given much more prominence in The Netherlands though. I have read mainstream English history covering the periods when Ireland was ablaze with war; it is mentioned mainly in footnotes in English history. Note there is no Irish History Month (the Brits would be too embarrassed).

What can be done? I leave it to the wise teachers to decide.

NOTE: While I was writing Statsman has posted news of an Irish History Month in 2012. A sort of "contributions of Ireland to Britain". More positive than "celebrating role of GB in Ireland in past millennium" history month.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

after hundreds of years of slavery and another hundred of slavery without chains the black people of American are given one month a year to celebrate their history. IF that's wasn't bad it's also the shortest month of the year, with one day added every 4 years.

yap that's equality for.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't believe BHM holds much value, other than to reaffirm divisions and relive past injustices
    I'm confused here.. surely you'd be delighted to reaffirm divisions?
    There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning. (W.B.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLion View Post
    after hundreds of years of slavery and another hundred of slavery without chains the black people of American are given one month a year to celebrate their history. IF that's wasn't bad it's also the shortest month of the year, with one day added every 4 years.

yap that's equality for.
    Real equality is not holding a BHM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Real equality is not holding a BHM.
    Yeah, you wouldn't ant them uppity black folks asserting themselves ir anything, would you?

Real equality is a kaleidoscope of diversity.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

After WWII there were many migrants and refugees from Europe to Australia. 1000s of Italians, people from Eastern Europe, the Balkans, The Netherlands, Malta. And before WWII (and after) there were 1000s of Irish migrating.

There was never an "Italian History Month" etc. annnual event and no one was taught their own special history. Instead we all learned the same history, which included Aboriginal history in my last year at school.

Everyone was considered Australian, even the Irish.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast