Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: We dont need more women in politics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default We dont need more women in politics

The 'reform' discussion seems to have fixated on the idea that more women TDs will mean better laws. This is nonsense. Our problem is that a small group of political families and a certain set of professions supply most of our TDs. Measures to bring in more women, without other reforms, will just result in more women solicitors and teachers becoming TDs, and more daughters from political families entering the dail, and fewer sons.

Thus, no real change.

What we need are more scientists, engineers, and other professions, regardless of their gender. We need more numerate TDs. More TDs with professional life experience, and fewer TDs who have inherited their father/mother's seat at a young age.

I'd like to see the age limit raised to 30, to ensure that all TDs had a life and career before politics. I'd also like to see training programs and funding to get people from underrepresented professions to make the jump. Currently, the only practical way to learn the nitty-grity 'how' of entering politics in Ireland is to have political relatives who can teach you. Its like an old medieval trade, passed from father to son. It wont change anything just swap sons for daughters.

We need to professionalise politics.

Your arguments don't support your conclusion - it doesn't follow from the claim that other reforms are necessary that this one isn't also necessary.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Feminista Reformers claim that men do not represent them in politics. This is simply, wrong, I've voted for women before and I would again. It does not matter what's between the legs, but between the ears.
    Women have been TD's, Junior Ministers, Cabinet Ministers, Tánaiste and President. The 'problem' is over-stated in my opinion.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Ramps

You're right...and wrong.

What we need are fewer politicians, with fewer powers. The sex of those whom we do need shouldn't even come in to it.

People who reduce politics to sex are devoid of any intelligence and should be fined and/or jailed for sex hate crimes.

How's that?
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I 'liked' your op Seabhcan

but isn't the LP probably the biggest promoter of gender equality in politics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    I 'liked' your op Seabhcan

but isn't the LP probably the biggest promoter of gender equality in politics?
    Maybe. I'm a member, I don't set policy.

A career which demands late night Dáil sittings, appearances on tv and radio late in the evening, sitting in clinics at the weekends, etc., is never going to attract very many people with well rounded lives. What sort of family person would sign up to that?

You could have 100 women in there, and they will all be a certain type of woman – much the same as the certain type of man in there, at present.

Fix the system – a 9-5 parliament would be a decent start. Maybe with an onsite crèche. And proper local democracy to take away the need for regular clinics.

THEN, we might start getting a decent parliament.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    People who reduce politics to sex are devoid of any intelligence and should be fined and/or jailed for sex hate crimes.

How's that?
    Nobody reduces politics to sex.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    It wont change anything just swap sons for daughters.
    Good OP, challenging the cozy and lazy consensus.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast