Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland to be 5th biggest location of foreign investment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland to be 5th biggest location of foreign investment

My Economist has just been published on the wonderful interweb. And contained within is a chart of the estimated FDI(Foreign Direct Investment) in-flows out to 2011.

Out of the rich-world economies, Ireland comes 4th, and in the wider world, Ireland ranks 5th(with catch-up Jordan in 4th)

We're way ahead of those Nordics who are supposed to be beating us in WEF and IMD competitiveness stakes. Singapore is the only economy which really seems to be out-classing us, and we're supposed to be losing our lustre as an attractive location?

The chart(if you have an Economist.com subscription) can be seen here.
    Private profit for public gain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the difference is the nordics have their own economy, they're not just one big wholesalers and 'financial services ~wink wink nudge nudge~ sector.
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, I'm interested that this hasn't provoked comment. Not even a naysayer rubbishing it.

Edit: there we go, we have a naysayer posting! Let the games begin!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We're not in bad shape at all, it's just the scaremongering about house construction outshadows everything else in this country.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're way ahead of those Nordics who are supposed to be beating us in WEF and IMD competitiveness stakes. Singapore is the only economy which really seems to be out-classing us, and we're supposed to be losing our lustre as an attractive location?
    As well as that, CNN were talking about the most productive countries in the world the other night and America ranked first, followed by Ireland. This goes against everything we've been hearing in that Ireland has one of the worst productivity rates now among European countries. Tbh I think its just a case of dozens of companies have now reached the end of their tax-free incentives and want to move on to other countries to get a similar deal, and are using poor productivity as an excuse to leave.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster
    We're not in bad shape at all, it's just the scaremongering about house construction outshadows everything else in this country.
    Yes, the housing sector is just reacting to a reduction in monetary stimulus. However, the wider economy is strong and we continue to attract investment. This will drive our GDP growth rates well above the European average.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim236
    As well as that, CNN were talking about the most productive countries in the world the other night and America ranked first, followed by Ireland. This goes against everything we've been hearing in that Ireland has one of the worst productivity rates now among European countries. Tbh I think its just a case of dozens of companies have now reached the end of their tax-free incentives and want to move on to other countries to get a similar deal, and are using poor productivity as an excuse to leave.
    Thanks for the commentary Jim236. I think that CNN report was informed by an ILO survey published in the last fortnight.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I can see, the only thing that could be damaging in the short run is higher labour costs, brought on by (i) inflationary pressures (ii) (to a lesser degree) our highly efficent workers recognising they are highly efficent

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neoliberal
    As far as I can see, the only thing that could be damaging in the short run is higher labour costs, brought on by (i) inflationary pressures (ii) (to a lesser degree) our highly efficent workers recognising they are highly efficent
    And asking for highly efficient pay rises, in a highly efficent manner?

W H !!! 600th post!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose this is the verdict that international investors are passing on us. We seem to have been exonerated on all counts. Another reason to look on the bright side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast