Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin 63 year RTE career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin 63 year RTE career.

Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin passed away today, a much loved RTE broadcaster.

A number of RTE radio presenters paid tribute to him today, he seems to have been a very professional and courteous man, and sympathies to his family at this sad time.

In the link below there is a small biography about him, outlining his long career in RTE radio, I have one small bugbear about it, seemingly he retired only two years ago which means RTE employed him until he was 87, that's 23 years past retirement age.

Unemployment at over 14%, how are young presenters ever going to make a breakthrough when this continues.

I have nothing against Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin as I said above, I have heard nothing today only good things about him, but is anyone ever going to take RTE to task over this kind of thing?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...in-585102.html
    Last edited by topcat4; 17th February 2013 at 08:14 PM.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin passed away today, a much love RTE broadcaster.

A number of RTE radio presenters paid tribute to him today, he seems to have been a very professional and courteous man, and sympathies to his family at this sad time.

In the link below there is a small biography about him, outlining his long career in RTE radio, I have one small bugbear about it, seemingly he retired only two years ago which means RTE employed him until he was 87, that's 23 years past retirement age.

Unemployment at over 14%, how are young presenters ever going to make a breakthrough when this continues.

I have nothing against Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin as I said above, I have heard nothing today only good things about him, but is anyone ever going to take RTE to task over this kind of thing?

GAA world mourns broadcaster Ó Ceallacháin | Irish Examiner
    He was likely a contractor. His choice as to when he retires.

If he'd retired at 50 no doubt there would be people saying "Waaaaah, Pravda are paying people so much that they can retire early."

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin was a true gentleman.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    He was likely a contractor. His choice as to when he retires.

If he'd retired at 50 no doubt there would be people saying "Waaaaah, Pravda are paying people so much that they can retire early."
    Even if he was a contractor, which you are I take it you are only surmising, the point I made stands, can RTE not contract someone younger.

If it wasn't for TG4, there would be no young presenters at all.

I also want to re emphasise the point, he himself seems to have been a true gentlemen, my gripe is with RTE.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even if he was a contractor, which you are I take it you are only surmising, the point I made stands, can RTE not contract someone younger.

I also want to re emphasise the point, he himself seems to have been a true gentlemen, my gripe is with RTE.
    The Equality Act might be invoked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    The Equality Act might be invoked.
    How, the retirement age is 65.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Almost all of the main Broadcasters at Pravda are contractors, Duffy, Kenny, Finucane etc. There are not PAYE workers.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Because he was "hugely respected", "well recognised", a "GAA Institution" and other such ************************e.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He did ten minutes every weekend! He was the voice of the GAA for lonely old men in bedsits on the Holloway Road wondering whether TwoMileHouse had beaten Maynooth or Upperchurch-Drombane had beaten Holycross.

But hey, you use his death for something else

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Because he was "hugely respected", "well recognised", a "GAA Institution" and other such ************************e.

He was. Unlike you. No-one will remember you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast