Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SF to be the biggest winners in next year's Euros?

Default SF to be the biggest winners in next year's Euros?

At the moment our Euro representation is as follows;
    FG : 4
    FF : 3
    LP : 3
    SP : 1
    Ind: 1

However if you look at the current party ratings it looks like we are in for a big shake-up next year.

FG should be able to hold their 4 (one in each constituency) although the Dublin seat may be under a slight threat.
    FF should also be able to hold their 3 and could challenge for one in Dublin where they currently have no MEP and on a very good day, for a second in Munster.
    Labour are in serious trouble. The seats in East (Childers) and South loo to be gone and even in Dublin they could lose out to a swing to SF.
    SP With Higgins not standing as his protege having a low profile, this seat is in serious trouble and may be gone completely if the ULA run a candidate.
    Ind : Harkin is most likely to hold in North West.

The big winners are likely to be SF. They should take a seat in Dublin at the expense of Labour or SP. They should take Labour's seats in South and East. The only major challenge to them is in North West, where they are strong but will be fighting strong traditional votes for FF and FG and Harkin won't go down without a major fight.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

However if you look at the current party ratings it looks like we are in for a big shake-up next year.

FG should be able to hold their 4 (one in each constituency) although the Dublin seat may be under a slight threat.
    FF should also be able to hold their 3 and could challenge for one in Dublin where they currently have no MEP and on a very good day, for a second in Munster.
    Labour are in serious trouble. The seats in East (Childers) and South loo to be gone and even in Dublin they could lose out to a swing to SF.
    SP With Higgins not standing as his protege having a low profile, this seat is in serious trouble and may be gone completely if the ULA run a candidate.

The big winners are likely to be SF. They should take a seat in Dublin at the expense of Labour or SP. They should take Labour's seats in South and East. The only major challenge to them is in North West, where they are strong but will be fighting strong traditional votes for FF and FG and Harkin won't go down without a major fight.
    If I were you, Britney, and had you record on predicting elections, I'd be keeping schtum!! Or are you just hoping to put the vooodooo on the shinners?!
    FF said hello and welcome to the IMF. FG said goodbye.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will be asking the question will you stay in Europe if elected or will you feck off and have a substitute take your seat ala Joe Higgins, I won't be voting for any of that crap.

As to SF, who will be their candidates, they will need heavy weights for this.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Won't the European elections also be held as usual on the same day as a load of council elections?

Not wishing to take away from the emphasis the OP stresses but I think the Euros could well be swamped by interest in what happens in the local elections on that day.

For example the council elections are the bottom rung in Fianna Fail's corrupt little nursery and a great example of arranged corruption in Ireland with an extraordinary number of 'family' seats in evidence in the 2007 elections. I believe somewhere around 40% of the seats were held by family members of previous councillors.

I have a feeling that Fianna Fail and 'family' seats are going to get a delayed reaction kicking from the 2011 General Election.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only problem at the moment is that SF don't have the organisation in many areas as of yet to translate the increase in poll support into actual votes, which gives the incumbent parties an advantage.

In saying that I can see them overtaking Labour in the Euro's. That's not surprising though, as SF will replace the Labour party in Irish politics.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    The only problem at the moment is that SF don't have the organisation in many areas as of yet to translate the increase in poll support into actual votes, which gives the incumbent parties an advantage.

In saying that I can see them overtaking Labour in the Euro's. That's not surprising though, as SF will replace the Labour party in Irish politics.
    And Labour have only themselves to blame for that, their pre elections lies are coming back to haunt them and then some. They will retain the Public Sector vote because when it comes down to it they are the only folk they care about, the rest can whistle dixie.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post

As a matter of interest, what do you know about SFs level of organisation?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People tend to vote more for party than for person in the Euros. FF will be lucky to get 0 in Dublin...

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

To be honest, it is all about money. The more money a party has, the more interviews they get from the compromised media.

A key factor in the next MEP elections will be the rolling out of the old guard who have had their snouts in the trough for a generation.

I was shocked that FF got any seats last time. There is a generational problem with two of the MEPs. They are simply past it.

Crowley is a dodgy creep who has outlasted the public realisation that FF are useless at defending the national interest. I can't believe that there are still people in Munster who vote for him.

I hope that there is wholescale change across the board. In particular, the Looper Party need a shock result in Dublin, where they have got very arrogant, as evidenced by the attitude of Frank Ross to the appointment of "we need to talk about Kevin" to the EU Court of Auditors, where he will presumably give everything the OK, just like he did with the Irish banks before they collapsed.

Time for change.

Though there still is a desperate shortage of options available. The options for MEP elections are often mediocre at best. In Dublin that can be changed to diabolically dreadful.

The only MEPs I can see holding their seats are Paul Murphy, Nessa Childers (who is not afraid of the Stickie leadership) and Mairead McGuinness.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the Presidential Election proved anything, it is that only the Dublin Euro constituency (with it's crap alternatives) could elect Gay Mitchel.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast