Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Collins: A serious political analysist or a propagandist for the government?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Stephen Collins: A serious political analysist or a propagandist for the government?

I think he has jumped the shark with his most recent article. He glofifies the government for the deal they did on the promissory notes saying it will have a hugely positive impact on the country's long term prospects. Collins dismisses any criticism of the deal which converts promissory notes into sovereign debt as being just the "predictable chorus of negative voices". He then drools over the EU and claims it prevented Ireland going under in its darkest days and that we should never forget it. He attacks Fianna Fáil for not giving enough support to the property tax.

Since Fine Gael/Labour came to power the Irish Times has done almost everything in their power to support them. The Irish Times is a complete blueshirt paper these days and Collins is a blueshirt cheerleader.

FF cynical shift to aggression could trip up party progress - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 16, 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't he the FG Tweedledee to the FF Tweedledum (Whelan)?
    Both have written books on FF.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    Since Fine Gael/Labour came to power the Irish Times has done almost everything in their power to support them. The Irish Times is a complete blueshirt paper these days and Collins is a blueshirt cheerleader.
    Interesting, my opinion of Collins is that he's an unrepentant PD

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is all over the government of the day - a right Vicar of Bray.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. Is the role of opinion based columnists to be relentlessly critical of the Government?. I've noted his tendency to support Fg. However, how is this any different to columnists who oppose all government policy. It is an opinion column.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Isn't he the FG Tweedledee to the FF Tweedledum (Whelan)?
    Both have written books on FF.
    I've always felt he was very much pro-FF.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    I think he has jumped the shark with his most recent article. He glofifies the government for the deal they did on the promissory notes saying it will have a hugely positive impact on the country's long term prospects. Collins dismisses any criticism of the deal which converts promissory notes into sovereign debt as being just the "predictable chorus of negative voices". He then drools over the EU and claims it prevented Ireland going under in its darkest days and that we should never forget it. He attacks Fianna Fáil for not giving enough support to the property tax.

FF cynical shift to aggression could trip up party progress - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 16, 2013

Do you expect anyone to treat you or your post seriously with your 'blueshirt' this and 'blueshirt' that?
    Do you know the meaning of the word drool? Did you see him drool?
    You seem to be using the mechanism of believing that by ascribing the term 'blueshirt' you can then dismiss the person, newspaper or whatever out of hand and not even bother having to put forward any argument to support or develop your case. Where else do we see that tactic used?
    Are you in some students union left wing politics?

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone who thinks the "deal" was a good one, is an idiot, ignore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Interesting. Is the role of opinion based columnists to be relentlessly critical of the Government?. I've noted his tendency to support Fg. However, how is this any different to columnists who oppose all government policy. It is an opinion column.

Collins is good and fair. After all the Irish Times is the only serious paper in this country. Just look at the Indo & Sindo and what passes for journalism there. Times is not a gov paper, read harry McGee,Michael O Regan, Lord and others. They are not pro government and neither is Collins.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    I've always felt he was very much pro-FF.
    That is what I would have believed from his past history but he seems to be a 'blueshirt' now!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast