Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Ni selling conflict resolution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ni selling conflict resolution

Article in The Economist this week . Is it really true ? Time for Pie contributers to get on message ?

Selling conflict resolution
    The peace progress
    Northern Ireland has become a prolific exporter of advice
    BELFAST

FOR many years Northern Ireland was a large net importer of advice on how to end its troubles. Nelson Mandela tried to reconcile unionists and republicans in 1997, although he was not wholly successful: the two camps were so hostile to each other that South Africa’s then president had to address them separately. An American former senator, George Mitchell, prodded paramilitary groups to decommission their weapons. Those efforts helped turn Northern Ireland into a mostly peaceful place. And the trade in counsel has reversed spectacularly.
    And the link ....

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...peace-progress
    Last edited by Gurdiev; 16th February 2013 at 12:40 PM.
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No replies.....is this what Norway feels like at the Eurovision song contest ....null points
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night .

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This all seems a nice little money spinning racket.

Bertie used to charge $40k for a speech.
    How long left for the Bertie Earners?

Northern Ireland isnt mentioned on the Bertie link.
    But then again he seems to have dropped the "How to Manage the Celtic Tiger" speech.
    Note that the link to Washington Speakers is dead.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem with the huge and i mean huge 'peace industry' in NI is if they say that there is peace they (and one of my irons) are out of a job!!!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Afaik this "Peace selling" was started by SF with MMG doing a bit of globetrotting business on the subject. Lord Alderdice and Donaldson just followed on, realising how much money could be made if they followed the Blair et al mode of business.

I remember that Gerry Adams and Bertie Ahern attended the same conference. Gerry only charged for expenses while Bertie got a huge sum (US$000s) as well.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Afaik this "Peace selling" was started by SF with MMG doing a bit of globetrotting business on the subject. Lord Alderdice and Donaldson just followed on, realising how much money could be made if they followed the Blair et al mode of business.

I remember that Gerry Adams and Bertie Ahern attended the same conference. Gerry only charged for expenses while Bertie got a huge sum (US$000s) as well.
    jaysus, (baby variety) Bertie under charged there, begorra ?
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.