Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berlusconi on Bribery

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Berlusconi on Bribery

From the Financial Times, but behind a paywall.
    You can read more here, at Zero Hedge.

Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has defended the need for bribery in winning contracts for Italy’s multinationals, as politicians campaigning in general elections have been forced to respond to a welter of corruption scandals revolving around the nexus of politics and business.

“Bribes are a phenomenon that exists and it’s useless to deny the existence of these necessary situations when you are negotiating with third world countries and regimes,” Mr Berlusconi, leader of a centre-right coalition and seeking his fourth stint in office, said on Thursday.

Mr Berlusconi defended Giuseppe Orsi, head of the state-controlled Finmeccanica defence group who was arrested on Tuesday and accused of involvement in bribes paid to Indian government officials to secure a helicopter contract. Mr Orsi, appointed chief executive under the last centre-right government in 2011 and replaced on Wednesday, has denied the accusations.

“These are not crimes,” said Mr Berlusconi, describing payments as “commissions”.
    How third world is north county Dublin?
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Amazing. Prejudicing a trial, accepting corruption and insulting India all in one sentence. He's less a man than a God.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Berlusconi shows all the signs of having reached a place where these reality tv contestants reach- that of addiction to being in the news.

I am sure from his previous stints at the top of Italian politics he will be aware that Italy will be legally obliged via OECD related agreements and via World Trade regulations apart from EU treaties that bribery in securing contracts should not be official policy and that in fact legally Italy is bound to prosecute such instances where discovered.

News grandstanding- more to do with election PR in a blanket pre-election media shut down in Italy.

He's just trying to get around the restrictions on media coverage in Italy by saying something apparently daft and in character that he knows will attract a lot of attention. He revels in his 'character' role and in the distance between him and 'boring' candidates and is exploiting that. Like Trump without the dead fox on his head.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given the level of cultural tolerance towards corruption in Itealy, Berlusconis party will probably gain a couple of points between now and election day after those comments.

Jaysus even Haughey wasn't that openly brazen in his heyday.
    "War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures."-Ron Paul

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well ... Berlusconi's background and career history does tend to make one wonder how many friends he has in the same way that one would wonder about a succession of Italian leaders since the war.

They all seem to know a lot about the olive oil business.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A long time ago I audited an Irish animal feed company that was selling its products to Pakistan. When I questioned some payments going to a London bank account the FD told me with a straight face they were "advertising support"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    A long time ago I audited an Irish animal feed company that was selling its products to Pakistan. When I questioned some payments going to a London bank account the FD told me with a straight face they were "advertising support"
    That's the reality - no point in wasting time and effort trying to do business in certain countries unless you have a very generous "advertising support" budget and the Board are prepared not to ask too many awkward questions of the executives who are delivering the profits.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What next? Patrick Bartholmew detailing how the various payments that sloshed through his accounts got there, and what they were in return for? Some chance of that, I grant you.

longshortgrass

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That's the reality - no point in wasting time and effort trying to do business in certain countries unless you have a very generous "advertising support" budget and the Board are prepared not to ask too many awkward questions of the executives who are delivering the profits.
    Many moons ago I asked a director of a company I worked for, how to code a "cash" payment. Do you have a code for bribes, sez he...right so, sundry office expenses.

Guess the country and the business. petunia

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is right though- if you don't throw the cash around in the developing world, someone else will get the contract.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast