Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bicultural NI - the future?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Bicultural NI - the future?

I have suggested this idea before, but have not really fleshed it out. This thread is here to ratify that.

What do I mean by biculturalism? Simply put, in NI, you have both an Irish and British cultural presence. Any reason why both cannot exist together? After all, both communities have the ability to speak English, and they both share the province together. One should be able to engage in Gaelic Sports and apprciare the Irish language without diminising their Britishness, and vice versa.

Whether NI remains a part of the UK or in a UI, that reality should be recognised. NI has a rich cultural heritage all should be able to appriciate, even from a distance. This thread was set up to dicuss how to make biculturalism a reality in NI.

My own ideas? Here's a handful:
    1) Irish language education and resources should be universally accessable to all.
    2) No playground, bridge or any other public building, facility or structure should be named after any members of combatant groups during the troubles, nor be decorated with the exclusive symbols of just one side of the NI community.
    3) If flags need to be flown on administrive or other public buildings in NI(unless it's a purely UK administrive building), they either need to represent both sections of the NI community, or (preferably) just one flag commonly accepted by all.
    4) All overtly political aspects of sporting organisations in NI need to be dismantled and Gaelic sports should be accessable to the Unionist community.
    5) Intergrated schooling should be encouraged, but in the meantime, Catholic and Protestant Schools(with participating schools from the ROI/Britain if possible) should organise outings together.

Any other ideas?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Here's an idea bog off and mind your own business ye bloody foreigner...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Would you say that to my aunt and uncle in Fermanagh? I'm as much a foreigner as they are.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    Would you say that to my aunt and uncle in Fermanagh? I'm as much a foreigner as they are.
    No I would say 'gawd help ye but that cub's an awful bore'. Anyway rehashing twat, you, and others have posted does not make an OP, ye need something juicy to fart off with, so we can all end up discussing the same old thing (usuns and themuns) other than that well done...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    I have suggested this idea before, but have not really fleshed it out. This thread is here to ratify that.

What do I mean by biculturalism? Simply put, in NI, you have both an Irish and British cultural presence. Any reason why both cannot exist together? After all, both communities have the ability to speak English, and they both share the province together. One should be able to engage in Gaelic Sports and apprciare the Irish language without diminising their Britishness, and vice versa.

Whether NI remains a part of the UK or in a UI, that reality should be recognised. NI has a rich cultural heritage all should be able to appriciate, even from a distance. This thread was set up to dicuss how to make biculturalism a reality in NI.

My own ideas? Here's a handful:
    1) Irish language education and resources should be universally accessable to all.
    2) No playground, bridge or any other public building, facility or structure should be named after any members of combatant groups during the troubles, nor be decorated with the exclusive symbols of just one side of the NI community.
    3) If flags need to be flown on administrive or other public buildings in NI(unless it's a purely UK administrive building), they either need to represent both sections of the NI community, or (preferably) just one flag commonly accepted by all.
    4) All overtly political aspects of sporting organisations in NI need to be dismantled and Gaelic sports should be accessable to the Unionist community.
    5) Intergrated schooling should be encouraged, but in the meantime, Catholic and Protestant Schools(with participating schools from the ROI/Britain if possible) should organise outings together.

Any other ideas?
    Integrated education should not be encouraged. It should be discouraged.
    Prods should not be allowed to play Gaelic games.
    Public property such as roads,streets, play-grounds, swimming pools, bridges should not be named after anyone who is unacceptable to most Prods or to most Catholics. e.g. Cromwell Road, Craigavon Bridge, Raymond McCreesh Park.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Public property such as roads,streets, play-grounds, swimming pools, bridges should not be named after anyone who is unacceptable to most Prods or to most Catholics. e.g. Cromwell Road, Craigavon Bridge, Raymond McCreesh Park.

".....Integrated education should not be encouraged. It should be discouraged.
    Prods should not be allowed to play Gaelic games...."

GlenSHAM once again achieves the near-impossible - and gets Nationalists and unionists to agree on one point, namely that GlenSHAM is a waste of time and space.

Thank you GlenSHAM.
    Delighted to be able to advise you that the GAA is open to people of all religions and those with no religion - you would know that if you were a GAA man - but as you are a False Flag, your intentions are clear.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No I would say 'gawd help ye but that cub's an awful bore'. Anyway rehashing twat, you, and others have posted does not make an OP, ye need something juicy to fart off with, so we can all end up discussing the same old thing (usuns and themuns) other than that well done...
    Anything else to contribute?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Disagree. All creeds should be able to enjoy the activities of the GAA.

And if we did your suggestion concerning public property, that would involve changing a HUGE amount of names.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing to contribute - as usual.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NMunsterman View Post
    ".....Integrated education should not be encouraged. It should be discouraged.
    Prods should not be allowed to play Gaelic games...."

GlenSHAM once again achieves the near-impossible - and gets Nationalists and unionists to agree on one point, namely that GlenSHAM is a waste of time and space.

Thank you GlenSHAM.
    Delighted to be able to advise you that the GAA is open to people of all religions and those with no religion - you would know that if you were a GAA man - but as you are a False Flag, your intentions are clear.
    Is your job here to go around after Glenshane4?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast