Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: John Bruton - Pregnant and Suicidal forget about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default John Bruton - Pregnant and Suicidal forget about it.

The former Taoiseach John Bruton has an opinion piece in today's Irish Times and he writes that:

Would a law including a provision allowing a suicide threat to be a basis for ending the life of an unborn child be consistent with the plain words of the Constitution, which require the State to “defend and vindicate” the unborn child’s “equal” right to be allowed to live? I believe the answer to the question is no.
    Therefore I can only conclude that John Bruton would prefer suicidal pregnant mothers to die rather than giving them an abortion!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    The former Taoiseach John Bruton has an opinion piece in today's Irish Times and he writes that:

Therefore I can only conclude that John Bruton would prefer suicidal pregnant mothers to die rather than giving them an abortion!
    I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that threat to deny others their fundamental human rights.
    Last edited by hiding behind a poster; 15th February 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is it with John Bruton? When he was Taoiseach he was all but invisible and rather taciturn. Now the fat waste of space has an opinion on everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's not a 'threat of suicide'. It must be established as a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk to the life of the pregnant woman, the test set by the Supreme Court.

If Bruton wants that part of the verdict overturned, he should campaign for a third referendum instead of encouraging the Oireachtas to ignore the constitutional rights of women.
    Mark Murray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am really totally pissed off with men coming out with their "knowledge" of being pregnant. Fundamental human rights are for living human beings, apart that is, from pregnant women who apparently have no rights. Fool.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I seen the title at first, I thought somebody was drawing a conclusion from that rotund belly on donkeylaffs....

I think that it is time for clarification. That belly is the result of years slobbering at the taxpayer funded trough.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post

According to a commentator on today article in the Irish Times, John Bruton was recently made a knight by the Catholic church for fidelity to same Church. I presume this article is him showing his fidelity.

A pity he doesn't follow the teaching of Jesus especially that bit about the rich man entering the kindom of heaven!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that thread to deny others their fundamental human rights.
    So you and John Bruton agree, you would prefer if they die rather than abort!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The title of this thread is hillarious.
    Real News.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    I don't see where you're getting that. Someone threatening to commit suicide shouldn't be allowed to a) use the threat as a form of emotional blackmail in order to get what they want; and b) shouldn't be allowed to use that thread to deny others their fundamental human rights.
    We may have hurled all sorts of barbs and cruel jibes at each other during the EU debates but you have hit the nail so squarely on the head with such exactness and molecular scale precision....nay atomic scale precision that I think you should take the place of the standard metre and the kilogram in the science museum in Paris if you dont mind being put into a triple glass bell that is...

Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast