Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: John McCallister has finally had enough of the UUP.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default John McCallister has finally had enough of the UUP.

Former Ulster Unionist Party leader John McCallister has quit over the appointment of a joint unionist candidate to fight the Mid-Ulster by-election. Mr McCallister said: "It's nothing personal to Nigel, I know Nigel. It is about principle. I am opposed to unionist unity and I do not want to be part of that." Nesbitt and McCallister haven't seen eye to eye at all over the recent past, indeed McCallister was sacked by Mike Nesbitt as UUP deputy leader for making a speech criticising unionist unity

It comes the same week the UUP sanctioned Basil McCrea and has left many onlookers confused regards who is calling the shots in this pact between the UUP and the DUP. It seems painfully obvious Nesbitt is dancing to Robbo's tune, something that McCallister also touched upon.

With the recent victory (?) of sorts for unionism in the recent Spotlight poll, it would have made sense to take a softer line in NI and embrace the % of nationalists that are content within the UK, instead Nesbitt, who makes Big Tom look like a shrewd politician, has jumped into a DUP bed and thrown his support behind Nigel Lutton. Ironically it may have been the rhetoric and stances of John McCallister that secured some nationalists' willingness to remain within the UK in the recent poll. Lutton's father an Orangeman and RUC man was killed by the IRA, Nigel credits the Orange Order for stopping him joining loyalist death squads in the immediate aftermath of his father's death.

McCallister went further by attacking new UUP Mike Nesbitt in a letter:

He said: "Your failure to articulate and communicate a distinctive UUP stance - based on Ulster Unionism's core values - on last year's parades controversies, on the Covenant centenary, on the Union flag debate, on the misguided Unionist Forum and on the potential of electoral pacts with the DUP has unfortunately inflicted grave damage on the Party.

SF can also breathe a sigh of relief in the fact that Victims campaigner Willie Frazer and Ulster Protestant Forum leader Jamie Bryson said they will not be running in the by-election against Lutton. McCallister was someone nationalists felt they could business with, indeed Honest John said he had first voted for the UUP in 1992, because of the party's values and had "no interest in supporting other narrow expressions of unionism, committed as they were to confrontation and triumphalism".

The Mid-Ulster by-election will take place on March 7.

Coming to a cinema near you soon:

The Sequel: Bye-Bye Basil...

UUP's John McCallister quits over unity choice - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Castle Ray

McCrea has resigned now too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gutted Wullie is not running.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Gutted Wullie is not running.
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will they team up with McClarty and form a new party? I think it is certainly on the cards given the language of McClarty a while back. Interesting development, may signal the end of the UUP.
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    Will they team up with McClarty and form a new party? I think it is certainly on the cards given the language of McClarty a while back. Interesting development, may signal the end of the UUP.

Basil has just said he will team up with McCallister and hopefully others to form an opposition in Stormont.
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    Basil has just said he will team up with McCallister and hopefully others to form an opposition in Stormont.
    This is McCrea and McClarty's preferred option. I think McCallister is torn between this and the NI Conservatives whilst the Alliance party are still hopeful of getting him into their party. Parsely has been courting him and McCrea heavily. The problem for McCallister is that he is not agnostic on the Union and he is right of centre economically. Hence Alliance is not a good fit.

Should a new Liberal Unionist Party be established then those three and possibly Kinahan and Hermon could join it. That would give it enough clout to get it off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    This is McCrea and McClarty's preferred option. I think McCallister is torn between this and the NI Conservatives whilst the Alliance party are still hopeful of getting him into their party. Parsely has been courting him and McCrea heavily. The problem for McCallister is that he is not agnostic on the Union and he is right of centre economically. Hence Alliance is not a good fit.

Should a new Liberal Unionist Party be established then those three and possibly Kinahan and Hermon could join it. That would give it enough clout to get it off the ground.
    Could Bradshaw, Hamiliton, Parsley not jump again to this new Liberal Unionist party? Don't forget about Ringland, McFarland and even Alex Kane.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New party likely...

He said it was unlikely that he would be joining the Alliance party but said that he might form a new party.

"John and I intend to form a real and viable opposition, hopefully with others," he said.
    BBC News - Basil McCrea 'likely to form new party' to challenge DUP and UUP

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    This is McCrea and McClarty's prfeferred option. I think McCallister is torn between this and the NI Conservatives whilst the Alliance party are still hopeful of getting him into their party. Parsely has been courting him and McCrea heavily. The problem for McCallister is that he is not agnostic on the Union and he is right of centre economically. Hence Alliance is not a good fit.

That would be good - although tbh, I would have liked if the SDLP tried to go back to it's roots and not follow SF's lead on everything. They would make a good "liberal" Nationalist party if they tried.
    Last edited by Mattarigna; 15th February 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast