Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Agreed unionist candidate for Mid Ulster by election

Johnny Boy

Default Agreed unionist candidate for Mid Ulster by election

BBC News - Mid Ulster by-election: Lutton chosen as unionist candidate

Mike Nesbitt's competence, as leader of the UUP is seriously questionable. Statistically this seat now looks unwinnable by even an agreed candidate yet he's going with it anyway and causing needless division within his own party on the issue.

Mid Ulster (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    BBC News - Mid Ulster by-election: Lutton chosen as unionist candidate

Mike Nesbitt's competence, as leader of the UUP is seriously questionable. Statistically this seat now looks unwinnable by even an agreed candidate yet he's going with it anyway and causing needless division within his own party on the issue.

Mid Ulster (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Why did the UUP seriously not pick Basil McCrea as leader?

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    Because he a fully paid up member of the human race?

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is all about Fermanagh/Tyrone. Seems like Unionist Unity candidates is the way to go from here on in. I think I may die of the shock!

This is good for Nationalism in the long run; Let them entrench themselves in "Protestant Ulster", it really is the best they can do.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question, the UUP is in serious trouble with pressure from Alliance on one side and from the DUP on the other. The number of decent honourable politicians who have jumped ship is getting beyond a joke - Sylvia Hermon, David McClarty and now John McCallister, I'm sure Basil McCrea is not far behind him. UUP should merge with DUP and those more liberal minded establish a new party. McCallister is scathing of Nesbitt's leadership in his resignation letter and quite rightly so.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Breaking news: BBC News - John McCallister resigns from the UUP

In a letter to Mr Nesbitt, Mr McCallister said he had first voted for the UUP in 1992, because of the party's values and had "no interest in supporting other narrow expressions of unionism, committed as they were to confrontation and triumphalism".
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Because he a fully paid up member of the human race?

The whole civilain population of NI are humans, you know - as idiotic as they may act now and again.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    This is all about Fermanagh/Tyrone. Seems like Unionist Unity candidates is the way to go from here on in. I think I may die of the shock!

This is good for Nationalism in the long run; Let them entrench themselves in "Protestant Ulster", it really is the best they can do.
    Suppose i will have to give up baiting ye lot on here when i get the job...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devonish View Post
    Good question, the UUP is in serious trouble with pressure from Alliance on one side and from the DUP on the other. The number of decent honourable politicians who have jumped ship is getting beyond a joke - Sylvia Hermon, David McClarty and now John McCallister, I'm sure Basil McCrea is not far behind him. UUP should merge with DUP and those more liberal minded establish a new party. McCallister is scathing of Nesbitt's leadership in his resignation letter and quite rightly so.
    TBH, the smartest thing for Unionists to do is to pick moderate leaders like Basil McCrea, do stuff to give the Irish cultural presence significance in NI and stress that one can be Irish and British. That's what I'd do if I were them - but then, I am actually not a Unionist, so obviously, they cannot see what appears to me to be prefectly logical.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

TBH, the smartest thing for Unionists to do is to pick moderate leaders like Basil McCrea, do stuff to give the Irish cultural presence significance in NI and stress that one can be Irish and British. That's what I'd do if I were them - but then, I am actually not a Unionist, so obviously, they cannot see what appears to me to be prefectly logical.
    Are you sitting down matt? i agree with you...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast