Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 101

Thread: Illinois to legalise same sex marriage.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,531
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default Illinois to legalise same sex marriage.

    The Illinois state senate voted to legalise same sex marriage today, the bill still has to pass the lower house, but that's expected to be plain sailing. Illinois will be the 10th US state to do so, after Maryland legalised it on the 1st of January this year. Since Illinois is one of the more populated states, the number of Americans living in jurisdictions with same sex marriage is now up to around 63 million people, approximately 21% of the population.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91D1H020130214

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saith Cainty Dublin
    Posts
    33,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That's really good news. Those of an intolerant disposition are losing ground all the time.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That's terrific news. These days one only seems to read about Gopers and their bills/policies to discriminate against lgbt and harass women wanting to control their reproduction so it's good to hear something so positive happening in the US even if it is predicatbly in the north. It would be great to see such an event happening in the bible belt or southern states in our lifetime.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member USER1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    That's really good news. Those of an intolerant disposition are losing ground all the time.
    I agree, not to mention they make themselves look more and more like the Klan each day!!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member USER1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    It would be great to see such an event happening in the bible belt or southern states in our lifetime.
    When Doma and prop 8 get struck down by the Supreme courts they will have no choice!!!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Gay marriage is very important for the future of society.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member USER1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Gay marriage is very important for the future of society.
    I hope you genuinely mean that, but if you don't it does to the gay people who currently are denied the right to civilly marry the person they love!!!!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    The Illinois state senate voted to legalise same sex marriage today, the bill still has to pass the lower house, but that's expected to be plain sailing. Illinois will be the 10th US state to do so, after Maryland legalised it on the 1st of January this year. Since Illinois is one of the more populated states, the number of Americans living in jurisdictions with same sex marriage is now up to around 63 million people, approximately 21% of the population.

    In Valentine vote, Illinois Senate approves gay marriage | Reuters
    Gay marriage is the most one-sided, black and white, issue of the early 21st century. There is no argument against it.
    It's kind of embarrassing that the conservative nation of the USA is beating us to it.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Nullification at its best.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member USER1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Nullification at its best.
    what do you mean???

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •