Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Sunday families offered £50,000 compensation - justice or a derisory penny offering?

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Bloody Sunday families offered £50,000 compensation - justice or a derisory penny offering?

Those seriously injured will receive £50,000 each.

The victims have already said the sum is derisory, but I am sure there will be some comments from "the other side" that it is far too much and no compensation should be paid at all.

Lots of reports but I have read this one:
    BBC News - Derry Bloody Sunday families offered £50,000 compensation

What do you think?
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 14th February 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It doesn't replace a loved one, but holding out for more would suggest of looking to gain from tragedy imo.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brits are paying, who cares?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which relatives would be compensated?

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And we wonder why Kenny didn't apologize for the Laundries. Is everything in this country about compensation?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

50k is a miserable sum, nothing can compensate for the loss of a loved one. However it is much more than many victims families received and almost 5 times the amount of the Eames Bradley proposal to pay £12,000 to all victims families...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    50k is a miserable sum, nothing can compensate for the loss of a loved one. However it is much more than many victims families received and almost 5 times the amount of the Eames Bradley proposal to pay £12,000 to all victims families...

Couldn't resist a bit of whataboutery could ye.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That amount is an insult - considering that not only were they murdered but then false accusations were made against them.

Politics.ie Member Evergreenfinch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Couldn't resist a bit of whataboutery could ye.
    He has made a point! Is my father's family less worthy because it was Loyalist terrorists killed his brother and not the British Army or RUC?

I don't think any compensation should be paid, let them chase the soldiers through the courts and receive the same justice everyone else who are victims of the Troubles will receive! NONE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evergreenfinch View Post
    He has made a point! Is my father's family less worthy because it was Loyalist terrorists killed his brother and not the British Army or RUC?
    I'm sure he's proud you grew up a self hating Loyalist, but no it's not less worthy good luck in bringing a case though

I don't think any compensation should be paid, let them chase the soldiers through the courts and receive the same justice everyone else who are victims of the Troubles will receive! NONE!!
    Stop being an embittered cow will ye.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast