Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 350

Thread: Iceland to ban online pornography citing sex attacks and child safety

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Skyrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Iceland to ban online pornography citing sex attacks and child safety

    Citing studies linking pornography and violent crime including increasingly ferocious rapes and detrimental effects on children, the Icelandic government is planning on banning access to all online pornography using a firewall similar to that used by China. Critics have dismissed the plan as unfeasible and branded it censorship.

    Iceland plans to ban pornography on the web | Irish Examiner
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    All that will be left is a website saying bring back porn and of course P.ie
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southfork
    Posts
    49,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Utter nonsense and unworkable. They even want adult pornography banned. We all agree child pornography should be (and is) illegal. But it's the height of nonsense to criminalise visual expression of adult sexuality.

    Edit: it seems from the Telegraph it's likely to become law. Indeed offline pornography is already legal in Iceland.
    Fair and Balanced

  4. #4
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    Sounds like very flawed reasoning.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Windowshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Utter nonsense and unworkable. They even want adult pornography banned. We all agree child pornography should be (and is) illegal. But it's the height of nonsense to criminalise visual expression of adult sexuality.

    Edit: it seems from the Telegraph it's likely to become law. Indeed offline pornography is already legal in Iceland.
    The Telegraph link actually goes to the Examiner website.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Windowshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Alcohol is linked to violent crime why don't they ban that while they're at it?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member gijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    All that will be left is a website saying bring back porn and of course P.ie
    P.ie is 'political porn' = banned!

    PS so the Icelanders who were touting themselves as a haven of freedom of expression on the net with suggestions of facilitating wikileaks and providing legal protections etc has decided to go down the censorship route instead!!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member gijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windowshopper View Post
    Alcohol is linked to violent crime why don't they ban that while they're at it?
    With the price of it in Reykavik they are succeeding in that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    P.ie is 'political porn' = banned!

    PS so the Icelanders who were touting themselves as a haven of freedom of expression on the net with suggestions of facilitating wikileaks and providing legal protections etc has decided to go down the censorship route instead!!
    Hardly porn..although watching the presidential campaign with 5G was I'd imagine like watching a snuff movie, something which I generally would not care for, but I have to admit there was something entrancing about someone ending their political life on Live national TV.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    While I can see what they are trying to do and judging by what goes for adult entertainment these days I would not oppose at lest a clamp down on the seriously crazy stuff. Whether or not it will work remains to be seen.
    swk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •