Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Tea Party created by... Koch Brothers

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member lies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Tea Party created by... Koch Brothers

    From the "D'uh files":

    A new academic study confirms that front groups with longstanding ties to the tobacco industry and the billionaire Koch brothers planned the formation of the Tea Party movement more than a decade before it exploded onto the U.S. political scene.
    Far from a genuine grassroots uprising, this astroturf effort was curated by wealthy industrialists years in advance. Many of the anti-science operatives who defended cigarettes are currently deploying their tobacco-inspired playbook internationally to evade accountability for the fossil fuel industry's role in driving climate disruption.
    Brendan DeMelle: Study Confirms Tea Party Was Created by Big Tobacco and Billionaire Koch Brothers
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    dublin and cork
    Posts
    10,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default


    Obvious really, all those ideas and aims were straight out of a billionaires wishlist; it is profoundly depressing how easily people were/are fooled into supporting a movement that is mostly counter to their own interests.
    Really makes you doubt the future of democracy and wonder how long before blatant plutocracy or corporate theocracy takes over there or anywhere.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member lies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    Obvious really, all those ideas and aims were straight out of a billionaires wishlist; it is profoundly depressing how easily people were/are fooled into supporting a movement that is mostly counter to their own interests.
    Really makes you doubt the future of democracy and wonder how long before blatant plutocracy or corporate theocracy takes over there or anywhere.
    I'm sure the liberal media will run this story into the ground. Riiiiiiight?

    Oh wait.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    dublin and cork
    Posts
    10,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    I'm sure the liberal media will run this story into the ground. Riiiiiiight?

    Oh wait.
    No but even if they did the majority of proponents would rather deny the truth of the story or twist it in their own mind so that the Kochs and big tobacco are the only true patriots, certainly they would not have a Damascene conversion and review their own actions and views.

    Education; liberal and deep with a strong primary focus on critical thinking is the only hope for democracy, I believe this is why there is a mass movement to avoid education of the sort above in favour of bible led and science denying BS.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member lies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    No but even if they did the majority of proponents would rather deny the truth of the story or twist it in their own mind so that the Kochs and big tobacco are the only true patriots, certainly they would not have a Damascene conversion and review their own actions and views.

    Education; liberal and deep with a strong primary focus on critical thinking is the only hope for democracy, I believe this is why there is a mass movement to avoid education of the sort above in favour of bible led and science denying BS.
    Sadly, the only thing more messed up than the healthcare and political system in the US, is the education system.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You can get some people to believe the most absurd things, like Christianity, Willie O'Dea is a top TD, the Titanic was unsinkable. What other mad beliefs can you add to my sad little list.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member IvoShandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Z'Ha'Dum
    Posts
    7,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    No but even if they did the majority of proponents would rather deny the truth of the story or twist it in their own mind so that the Kochs and big tobacco are the only true patriots, certainly they would not have a Damascene conversion and review their own actions and views.

    Education; liberal and deep with a strong primary focus on critical thinking is the only hope for democracy, I believe this is why there is a mass movement to avoid education of the sort above in favour of bible led and science denying BS.
    Which is why we get stuff like this....
    Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really. - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

    I think the average Republican in places like Texas are de-evolving. Another few years and their knuckles will be scraping the ground. Well the knuckles that are'nt grasping a rifle or a bible, anyway!
    Last edited by IvoShandor; 25th April 2013 at 12:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    dublin and cork
    Posts
    10,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IvoShandor View Post
    Which is why we get stuff like this....
    Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really. - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

    I think the average Republican in places like Texas are de-evolving. Another few years and their knuckles will be scraping the ground.
    The truly scary thing is that many if not most of the rich seem to see themselves as different from the rest of us; a recent article by a journalist who followed the very wealthy about for years and wrote a book about it says that they (the rich) feel they have massively more in common with each other and see the rest of us as being failed human beings; being or becoming rich is something everyone normal could do and should do and those that don't are mildly contemptible.
    They don't consider themselves Irish or American as much as part of an extra-national nation of the rich.
    This view allows them a leeway to manipulate and treat lesser mortals as they wish and put the guilt onto them for their own "self-inflicted" problems.
    Profit and accruing more wealth is all that matters, the lesser citizens are chattel, their wants and desires irrelevant.
    This is very damaging in the long term but the rich are as shortsighted as anyone else, they will be as flabberghasted as Marie Antoinette when the backlash begins.


    http://dianeravitch.net/2012/09/05/6897/

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    some one should try setting up a Marlbora and coffee party over their. After all, tea ain't really that big in the US.
    On a more serious note, I cant ever see any party like this taking on the big two. Not for a long time any how. pretty much the same every where, two big main players and the rest feeding on the crumbs.
    swk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    The truly scary thing is that many if not most of the rich seem to see themselves as different from the rest of us; a recent article by a journalist who followed the very wealthy about for years and wrote a book about it says that they (the rich) feel they have massively more in common with each other and see the rest of us as being failed human beings; being or becoming rich is something everyone normal could do and should do and those that don't are mildly contemptible.
    They don't consider themselves Irish or American as much as part of an extra-national nation of the rich.
    This view allows them a leeway to manipulate and treat lesser mortals as they wish and put the guilt onto them for their own "self-inflicted" problems.
    Profit and accruing more wealth is all that matters, the lesser citizens are chattel, their wants and desires irrelevant.
    This is very damaging in the long term but the rich are as shortsighted as anyone else, they will be as flabberghasted as Marie Antoinette when the backlash begins.


    The Super-Rich Are Different from Us Diane Ravitch's blog
    Unsurprising really. It's the default mode of all people who gain power and has been since time began. You can read it in here where those who are wealthy turn their noses up at anyone poor or not 'wealth creating'. Its KPMG girl syndrome and it's just a continuation of the landed gentry and caste systems of the past.
    The pathetic thing about the tea party was that many of its supporters are precisely the 'sub humans' that those pulling the strings despise.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •