Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The problem with gendered clothing

Default The problem with gendered clothing

I found this interesting article online today that engages with the issue of gendered clothing, and how it can have the effect of deepening the socially constructed and negative aspects of gender division.

Now, before some of the cranks on here rubbish the idea out of hand - I ask that you actually read the article first (it's very short). It does NOT call for the universal application of unisex clothing - simply the emancipation of all clothing of its gender grounds and the abolition of stigma either way.

It's an interesting area of study, and one that is often taken for granted or overlooked even by LGBTQ activists. Clothing is and should be a powerful expression of who we are - why do we allow society to tell us what is and isn't appropriate in that sphere?

simeongrimes

the abolition of stigma either way
    How do you abolish a stigma? As it stands women can wear what they like and the days when a woman in trousers was frowned upon are long gone. Men who want to wear women's clothes are not doing it for sartorial reasons comfort or convenience but because of a compulsion. The stigma attaches to the compulsion not the clothes.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strange website, concerned?

Any background to what the "experience project" is about?

I couldn't find anything.......
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Strange website, concerned?

Any background to what the "experience project" is about?

I couldn't find anything.......
    It's a blog, I gather

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as long as mick wallace wears pink, no son of mine will wear pink....
    i don't want them emulating a tax cheat
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All my life my Parents have tried to dress me in girls clothes, the rows were awful. My Mother even gave me a pink hoodie a few weeks back - I'm 51, I don't wear pink and I don't wear hoodies.

Skirts and dresses are only practical in the Summer in this country and even then, it depends on the Summer.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A man deliberately wearing a dress or article of clothing that has been made to fit a woman's body is very different from a woman wearing what some might consider masculine clothes (trousers, etc) that have been designed and made with the sole purpose of being worn by women. There are designers who attempt to push the limits of what might be thought of as gender appropriate clothing, London based Irish born fashion designer JW Anderson produced such a menswear collection for next Autumn but I doubt they will appeal to those who have a penchant for wearing women's clothing or that we'll be seeing many men wearing them.

JW Anderson:Men AW 2013:Collection | ELLE UK
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    as long as mick wallace wears pink, no son of mine will wear pink....
    i don't want them emulating a tax cheat
    petunia

Actually considering the natural* complexion of the Irish, pink is a most unflattering colour. That it became popular for men in particular, is very regrettable. Ditto any "skin complexion" clothing.

Say what you like about O'Duffy, but he nailed the colour the for Irish complexion.

"De-genderising" clothing. Nonsense. We are different shapes, and it is not just a boobs and hips thing. There are different limb bone ratios.

That is why small women look ridiculous in some cars whereas small men don't. (5 ft blokes still manage to look like they are holding the wheel rather than attached to it. )

* as opposed to the St Tropez addiction of our dumber citizens. Fake tan = idiot. Real tan = wrinkled idiot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The key line in the article is:

"Although I have identified myself as a crossdresser....."

Does the blogger not realise that his own identity disorder has no relevence to the vast vast majority of children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do find this kind of stuff makes me sigh inwardly very loudly and put on my pity face. I also find it distasteful that people with their own issues project them onto the public at large under the guise of it being allegedly important. I can happily get up in the morning and put on my clothes without ever reflecting on anything beyond the fact that they are clean and that I probably like wearing them.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast