Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: NY to ban Styrofoam - Should we follow suit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NY to ban Styrofoam - Should we follow suit?

New York City is likely to introduce a ban on Styrofoam Packaging; this product is used to pack fast food. The main problems with it are that it is not biodegradable and it is not recyclable and eats up a lot of landfill space. I think it is time we introduced the same practice here.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't most outlets here already use cardboard for most packaging these days anyway? Certainly Supermacs, McDonalds and KFC do (with the possible exception of hot drinks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loaisman View Post
    Don't most outlets here already use cardboard for most packaging these days anyway? Certainly Supermacs, McDonalds and KFC do (with the possible exception of hot drinks).
    I'd say a lot of the family run outlets still use Styrofoam, if we can do without it, then we should ban it.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ban it. Although I am waiting for some republican to claim it breaches their constitutional right to hot burgers as laid out in the 82nd ammendment*. The founding fathers set it up that way before burgers were invented and when people were starving so it still holds sway today irregardless of the damage being done.

* I am aware that there is no 82nd ammendment and am being faceous.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Ban it. Although I am waiting for some republican to claim it breaches their constitutional right to hot burgers as laid out in the 82nd ammendment*. The founding fathers set it up that way before burgers were invented and when people were starving so it still holds sway today irregardless of the damage being done.

* I am aware that there is no 82nd ammendment and am being faceous.
    Sounds like the redundant protoplasm of our oversized Public Service...which also coincidentally takes up too much space and cannot be got rid of.....
    The nation will be paying for it foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The Republic is dead long live the Republic Service or something

Ban it. Not fit for purpose and is an environmental liability. Plenty of more efficient, cheaper and safer alternatives out there...
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is also interesting is that NYC reckons that it costs an extra $20 per ton to deal with the rubbish it generates, it need to be removed from recycling waste and diverted to landfill!

I'm sure the rate here will be similar and banning it should reduce or waste disposal costs.