Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: France: Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default France: Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits

Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits - Independent.ie

"Djamal Chaab, 43, had warned a branch of the Pole Emploi national employment agency in Nantes, western France, yesterday that he planned to kill himself, the agency said in a statement.

Although police and firemen were on alert around the agency, they were unable to stop him setting fire to himself."

Truly tragic case. The background to this case isn't given, but with the Irish Govt getting tougher on people here claiming benefits, lets hope that this is something that could ever happen here.

Is it a form of blackmail? "Keep me on welfare or I'll set myself on fire outside your office"... How should a Govt/people react to this?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You focus on the macro, not the micro and hopefully, the rising tide will lift all boats. Tragic though it is, you can't make a special case for one just because he claims he will set himself alight.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits - Independent.ie

"Djamal Chaab, 43, had warned a branch of the Pole Emploi national employment agency in Nantes, western France, yesterday that he planned to kill himself, the agency said in a statement.

Although police and firemen were on alert around the agency, they were unable to stop him setting fire to himself."

Truly tragic case. The background to this case isn't given, but with the Irish Govt getting tougher on people here claiming benefits, lets hope that this is something that could ever happen here.

Is it a form of blackmail? "Keep me on welfare or I'll set myself on fire outside your office"... How should a Govt/people react to this?
    Tragic case but the fact that his name is non-European French might just mean that his case gets ignored. I don't know if the French sense of social solidarity crosses ethnic boundaries - especially ethno-religious boundaries.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You seem to think we are unfamiliar with this phenomenon.

Garda dies following arson attack at Tallaght Garda station - RTÉ News

RIP.

Any regular viewer of this forum knows I don't have much time for the Gardai but this guy was a hero.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    You focus on the macro, not the micro and hopefully, the rising tide will lift all boats. Tragic though it is, you can't make a special case for one just because he claims he will set himself alight.
    I agree, but can can imagine the public backlash and outcry if something like this happened here.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I agree, but can can imagine the public backlash and outcry if something like this happened here.
    Funnily enough, I don't think there would. Official Ireland would label him a nutjob and this would be accepted enough to those of influence that anger would fade pretty quick.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over here, a disgruntled welfare recipient would be far more likely to target an employee of the social welfare office rather than harm themselves.

In such a small country that fear factor is very real among social welfare staff. I wouldnt do their job for all the tea in china.
    Last edited by pragmaticapproach; 14th February 2013 at 01:43 AM.

This is only the start in France , watch France blow in the next 12 -18 months.They are instating capital controls already on cash transactions anything over 1000 euro is illegal .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Unless you're Marcos, in which case you try to turn a tragic instance of self-immolation into an anti-doler rant, couching it as a concerned question to deflect the deserved ridicule.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funnily enough, I don't think there would. Official Ireland would label him a nutjob and this would be accepted enough to those of influence that anger would fade pretty quick.
    The Irish do threats and intimidation, not self immolation.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast