Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: It was "Blackie" Obama wot done for Whitey Bulger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default It was "Blackie" Obama wot done for Whitey Bulger.

The Boston Herald is reporting that Whitey Bulger drew attention to himself by expressing very strong racist anti-Obama views. It would be fair to say that some Irish communities in the US were hardly the most liberal in matters of race. South Boston was no doubt one and Obama alluded to being positioned at the end of the St. Patricks Day parade in Chicago when he spoke in Dublin.

Interesting story-

Book: Whitey

Whitey’s rage at black prez led to his capture

Can Whitey Bulger blame his own raging case of Obama Derangement Syndrome rather than a tabby cat for his 2011 capture?

That’s the suggestion in a bombshell new biography, “Whitey: The Life of America’s Most Notorious Mob Boss,” by veteran Boston reporters Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill.

When Whitey and moll Catherine Greig had been living in Santa Monica, Calif., as “Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Gasko,” Greig became close to Icelandic model Anna Bjornsdottir, bonding over the care of a stray cat. Whitey often joined them outside their apartment building.

But, Lehr and O’Neill write, Bjornsdottir and Whitey never spoke again after she “unabashedly” expressed admiration for the first black president.

“He practically exploded … disgusted that she could admire a black man as president ... Nothing was the same after. Whitey gave Anna the cold shoulder, would not even respond when she said hello to him. Anna Bjornsdottir, meanwhile, would not forget the old man’s sudden rage — or his angry, cold glare.”

In June 2011, watching a story on CNN, Bjornsdottir recognized the fugitive as her rabid racist neighbor. He was captured days later.
    From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any Irish people I know who have lived and worked in America have views that would make your average klansman blanch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Any Irish people I know who have lived and worked in America have views that would make your average klansman blanch.
    +1

That goes for my mom's aunt in New York. She had it in for the jews as well, which was really odd from my mom's point of view. Only exception are the asians, whom she admires for their supposed hard work ethic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blanch - great choice of word.
    From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free!

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are exceptions, but having lived there for many years I can say that by and large the deep seated and virulent racism of the Irish is a sight to behold.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have thought it was all the murders and crime he committed.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

longshortgrass

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    There are exceptions, but having lived there for many years I can say that by and large the deep seated and virulent racism of the Irish is a sight to behold.
    Probably went back to the days when job signs in Boston stated "Irish and Blacks need not apply", in that order.

Payback time...the Irish always get the wrong man...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longshortgrass View Post
    Probably went back to the days when job signs in Boston stated "Irish and Blacks need not apply", in that order.

That myth?

Richard J. Jensen - "No Irish Need Apply": A Myth of Victimization - Journal of Social History 36:2

longshortgrass

Been to Boston over 40 visits...the Italian and Irish "Mafia" run the joint, fact.

I found the Boston Irish "Mafia" "useful" in business. petunia

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I blame the corrupting influence of Jazz. They say he was ok until he heard his first Charlie Parker record and it was all down hill from there. By the time Miles Davis has gone all fusion, there was no turning back.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast