Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 447

Thread: What type of Pope will be needed if the RC Church is to survive.

  1. #1

    Default What type of Pope will be needed if the RC Church is to survive.

    There will be an election in Rome before the end of lent to promote a lesder of the RC Church, in these difficult times, with falling numbers attending mass, securalism on the rise and fundamentalism putting pressures, both catholic and protestant the need for the conclave to elect the right person is crucial.
    John Pau 2 was a master stroke at the time, but what sort of pope is needed to bring the RCC through the next decade, without further decimation.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    7,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    There will be an election in Rome before the end of lent to promote a lesder of the RC Church, in these difficult times, with falling numbers attending mass, securalism on the rise and fundamentalism putting pressures, both catholic and protestant the need for the conclave to elect the right person is crucial.
    John Pau 2 was a master stroke at the time, but what sort of pope is needed to bring the RCC through the next decade, without further decimation.
    This lad...



    Or this lad...


  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Believers believe that the RCC is eternal and that God guides the College of Cardinals in their choice.

    Many sane people are aware that these are ....unlikely .... propositions.

    A sensible first step by the next Pope would be the dissolution of the absurd Vatican Statelet.

    Then again, turkeys don't vote for Christmas, as it were.
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    7,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    But the essential thing about xtians is they must believe in this lad...


  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Catholic Church is growing on a worldwide basis. Therefore a fella from the developing world is needed, and preferably not someone ancient.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    The Catholic Church is growing on a worldwide basis. Therefore a fella from the developing world is needed, and preferably not someone ancient.
    But if we have an african, will we have a fundamentalist, with hard lines on abortion, priests marrying, women priests etc, not a populist leader, theefore makink the RCC, less relevant.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    There will be an election in Rome before the end of lent to promote a lesder of the RC Church, in these difficult times, with falling numbers attending mass, securalism on the rise and fundamentalism putting pressures, both catholic and protestant the need for the conclave to elect the right person is crucial.
    John Pau 2 was a master stroke at the time, but what sort of pope is needed to bring the RCC through the next decade, without further decimation.
    This however is a view of the Catholic church from an entirely western perspective. The number of catholics worldwide increeced 11% last year, which should suggest that the church is in rude health and growing, logically that will require an African or S. American Pope to serve that growth.
    Last edited by Equinox; 13th February 2013 at 10:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    But if we have an african, will we have a fundamentalist, with hard lines on abortion, priests marrying, women priests etc, not a populist leader, theefore makink the RCC, less relevant.
    Yes, but relevant to who? They are growing their 'market share' in Africa, it might be time to close 'His Master's Voice' outlets in (morally) bankrupt, sodom and Gahmorrah's like Ireland and change it's buisness strategy to meet the needs of exciting new markets in places like China where the future high spenders will no doubt be.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    But if we have an african, will we have a fundamentalist, with hard lines on abortion, priests marrying, women priests etc, not a populist leader, theefore makink the RCC, less relevant.
    Can't have it every way though.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This guy


Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •