Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting up and reskilling.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Starting up and reskilling.

We have heard much about how the unemployed should either retrain or start their own business on these threads so I have two questions that I would like to pose -

1. Which skill(s) would it be most worth acquiring in a bid to find employment.

2. If I had up to 50k to start a new business then in which area of commerce would I best invest it?
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    We have heard much about how the unemployed should either retrain or start their own business on these threads so I have two questions that I would like to pose -

2. If I had up to 50k to start a new business then in which area of commerce would I best invest it?
    1. Learn Chinese.
    2. Use the 50k to go to China.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try online retailing into the massive British Market!

Online Shopping Ireland | Online Shopping Directory

I have finance for anyone who wants a go!

http://www.dceb.ie/Training-Courses-&-Modules

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Learn to trade the markets, and take some money back from the ones who put us in the current mess.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Investment Skills.. and put the money in yer arse pocket..

Maybe I’m cynical but Ireland rewards conservative people.. who take no risks and look after themselves..

Be Irish.. take no risks, put yourself first,.. jump the queue..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just bung the fifty grand in an envelope and "donate" it to FG.... get a bit of training lashing websites together then just wait for the Government contract.

This is a tried and tested formula and should see you right.

Or.... technology is the way to go. Hardware, software or both.

It doesn't matter what industry you head for you'll need to be creative.... don't think of what's needed now, think of what'll be needed in 2,3,4,10 years from now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Project management. Many organisations run their activities as a series of projects and knowing how to organise and manage projects successfully is an extremely transferable skill.

Online retail. Very low start-up costs (you can get template websites), potentially global market, no rent, rates, premises insurance etc, etc. Find a niche product with an established market, that you can get from a reliable source, check all your competitors, online and conventional very carefully, copy what they're doing right and don't repeat their mistakes.

Spend money on SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to make sure you get onto page 1 of google search results and stay there. Make sure the SEO is done legitimately (no 'black hat' techniques) and according to Google rules. It's not as difficult as you might think, especially for a niche product which will have niche search terms.

Get to know your product inside out, get to know your market inside out. Stick with it and make sure that you don't become complacent if you start making reasonable money. Always look for new opportunities. If you can operate successfully for a few years, you should have gained some of the key business skills and experience.
    Mark Murray.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sondagefaux's idea is better than mine.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Just bung the fifty grand in an envelope and "donate" it to FG.... get a bit of training lashing websites together then just wait for the Government contract.

This is a tried and tested formula and should see you right.

Or.... technology is the way to go. Hardware, software or both.

It doesn't matter what industry you head for you'll need to be creative.... don't think of what's needed now, think of what'll be needed in 2,3,4,10 years from now.
    you could also join the labour party as an advisor even though like the labour party you haven;t a fooking clue about anything. (I would add FF, FG and the undeniable twits in the Greens and SF)

Barring that you really have to get into software or medicine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast