Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 20% of Irish Children going hungry: Is poverty or fecklessness the cause?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 20% of Irish Children going hungry: Is poverty or fecklessness the cause?

A Report conducted by the Health Promotion Research Centre at NUI Galway, which studied 16,000 children between the ages of 9 and 18 years old found that 14% of those surveyed never have breakfast up 1% from the Study figures in 2006.

The Irish Health Behaviour in School Aged Children Report of 2010 found that 21% of Children report going hungry with younger Children from lower social economic groups being much more likely to experience hunger.

20% of Irish children have gone to school hungry - RTÉ News

Given that Irish welfare rates are in some cases several times the rate payable in other EU Countries from whom we effectively borrow to fund our deficit it begs the question how much of the problem is related to fecklessness and poor parenting, and how much is related to genuine poverty?

Could the phenomenal growth of the Gambling Industry in Ireland be related to the problem and should it be curtailed?

Are the new working poor paying too much to banks to afford to take care of their families?

Do parents need training to budget, plan and prepare nutritious meals?

The other strange development is that there is a big increase in obesity among Irish Children.

How can the State best look after the welfare of vulnerable neglected Children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Children going hungry to school, because they go to bed late, get up late and many parents don't get up in time to make a breakfast. Go by any school in the morning and you will see some child eating crisps or a cereal bar going into school. But of course no blame must be put on parents in regards to their children, responsibility is a dirty word these days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Children going hungry to school, because they go to bed late, get up late and many parents don't get up in time to make a breakfast. Go by any school in the morning and you will see some child eating crisps or a cereal bar going into school. But of course no blame must be put on parents in regards to their children, responsibility is a dirty word these days.
    Methinks that advertising and the popular notions of body image are promoting fasting among some children too!

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ask the kids whether there is any tangible difference between "poverty" or "fecklessness".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my lifetime and I'm in my mid sixties, I have seen (in general terms, admittedly) a reversal of sizes and social class. Poor children tended go be skinny and even emaciated, while often better off kids were plumper and that was in the fifties. Nowadays, many poor kids are bordering on fat or quite obese, while their more well-off equivalents are the thinner ones, though not emaciated. Cheap sugary foods, education and hard -sell advertsing must be to blame.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    A lot of DEIS schools like my own find it necessary to run breakfast clubs before school. Our canteen now oñly does healthy options. Signs on, we only have two cases of obesity. One I would describe as a form of child abuse but the mother is beyond help, I'm afraid.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pedagogus View Post
    A lot of DEIS schools like my own find it necessary to run breakfast clubs before school. Our canteen now oñly does healthy options. Signs on, we only have two cases of obesity. One I would describe as a form of child abuse but the mother is beyond help, I'm afraid.
    Is there any program to assist families who are not feeding their children before school? Why not get social workers involved?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel so sorry for fat children, when I was in getting my daughter a school skirt ,I checked the rail of skirts, up to size 20. Size 20 in the name of god why would anyone do that to their kids.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by satanclaus88 View Post
    I blame a lack of diversity.
    If there's Irish going hungry we need more African immigration
    - to teach us the fine art of anthropophagi.
    Can we afford more diversity however desireable it may be, as we are already borrowing €13 billion this year to support our dependent population?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pedagogus View Post
    I can only endorse the above and the great work that is done in feeding these kids. I found in my former school that several kids were sent out hungry but given money as well to buy something in a shop by parents. Often 9 year olds will just buy junk. I would have too at that age.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast