Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Road fatalities

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Road fatalities

Why, after a couple of years of lower road death figures has it all gone pear shaped this year? I don't think there has been a day where I have not heard 'such and such a road is closed due to incident/technical investigation' or 'x people were killed in a collision'

What are people doing wrong here?

Come on cop on and take care on our roads, they may not be in the greatest condition but use a bit of common sense and look after yourselves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would love to see a same concerned thread about the over 600 a year who kill themselves in this country,

I do agree about taking care on the roads (i have been criticised for staying within the speed limit).
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always wondered why we fixated on road deaths when there are more people committing suicide per year for a decade or so than die on the roads
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    I would love to see a same concerned thread about the over 600 a year who kill themselves in this country,

I do agree about taking care on the roads (i have been criticised for staying within the speed limit).
    There is a theory that there may be a connection between the two.

Politics.ie Member julieandrews's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presume you mean the fatal crash on the N4 last night? I'm from around there and that stretch of the road is supposed to be one of the most dangerous in the country and has always been notorious as long as I can remember. 29 people in total have died on the road in that spot and white crosses have been erected along the roadside there in their memory and to try to warm motorists.

Even though this stretch has been notorious for years, nothing was done about it during the celtic tiger years when new motorways were being built and roads upgraded in other parts of the country. The usual 'the west doesn't matter/exist' story I'm afraid.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samell View Post
    Why, after a couple of years of lower road death figures has it all gone pear shaped this year? I don't think there has been a day where I have not heard 'such and such a road is closed due to incident/technical investigation' or 'x people were killed in a collision'

What are people doing wrong here?

Come on cop on and take care on our roads, they may not be in the greatest condition but use a bit of common sense and look after yourselves.
    I think car accident pictures should be published in the newspapers to frighten people into realizing what happens in accidents.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 12th February 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    There is a theory that there may be a connection between the two.
    Yes I know, single car fatality can be someone killing themselves, so the figure of 600 goes right up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    1 in 3 women is smoking too despite years and year and YEARS of telling them of the consequences for their health.

Obesity is on the rise as well despite the benefits of eating healthy and exercise being obvious.

I think the ads on the telly and in the papers and the cinema have to become openly abusive toward these people and we need to have shows that humiliate people who drive dangerously, smoke, overeat and so on.

It has to be really nasty.
    I'll answer you when I finish this fag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On back roads or non motorway roads, please do stay within the limit; in fact I think it should be reduced on many back roads where they twist and turn like Bertie's moral compass. 100 is too much for many roads, simple as that.
    However, 120 is too slow for the excellent motorways we have and you probably should be arrested if you go any slower than 110kph on such a road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I know, single car fatality can be someone killing themselves, so the figure of 600 goes right up.
    And would explain what appears to be an increase in road deaths when the trend has been in the opposite direction.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast