Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Working for no pay IS slavery, UK court rules (the Tories think it is OK though)

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Working for no pay IS slavery, UK court rules (the Tories think it is OK though)

Two people have won appeals against a Tory government scheme that obliged people to work for no pay or else they'd lose their job seeker's allowance.

One was a geology graduate forced to work as a shelf stacker in Poundland for nothing.

I am really glad to hear this because I thought all along that this scheme was unjust, benefiting the employer while not benefiting the employee slave at all. In the nominally Christian Great Britain Christ's statement that "a man is worthy of his hire" was ignored. That is wrong, wrong, wrong. On the geology graduate's CV how could "working as a shelf stacker at Poundland" (for nothing) help her find a geology job?

I wish the geology student and the HGV driver the best of luck in finding appropriate and well paid jobs soon. They, and the others who have been forced to work for no pay, deserve a better working life.
    BBC News - Back-to-work scheme breached laws, says Court of Appeal

Have any of you been forced to work as slaves under the Great Britain or similar schemes in other countries?

Updated report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21426928
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 12th February 2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by satanclaus88 View Post
    Right maybe there are problems with the scheme.
    But who is providing the unemployed with their allowance?
    In a word- slaves.
    Why should people who work be penalised for those who do not.
    I think that a bit of PR work should be done here.
    Instead of working for corporations, they could work to rebuild the state like in Hitler's Germany.
    The unemployed should feel like they are doing something honourable rather than the dishonour of slavery.
    I've done internships and I've also been unemployed-and I tell you it is a terrible thing for a man's soul to get his bread for free.
    You could say the childless are being penalised for child bearing, able being penalised for disabled etc etc etc were dya stop?

There is no sense of honor or pride with work, forced work is not a natural state for a human, no one lies on their death bed wishing they worked more

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've also done internships for little or no pay. Good to hear it - sounds like slavery to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a word- slaves.
    Instead of working for corporations, they could work to rebuild the state like in Hitler's Germany.
    The unemployed should feel like they are doing something honourable rather than the dishonour of slavery.
    I've done internships and I've also been unemployed-and I tell you it is a terrible thing for a man's soul to get his bread for free.
    Hitlers Germany??? That worked out well, didn't it?

Politics.ie Member seismic change's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slavery?

Clearly people using this word have no idea what slavery was and how it effected many people both black and white.

This is a small setback for the UK government but im sure they will find a way to get around this court ruling, I believe they are intending to appeal the decision.

Internships, WPP and Jobsbridge like the Community Employ Schemes are valuable ways to help those who wish to lay about in bed all day to get back into work and stop with this bone idle lazy attitude to work.

Many people have actually gone on to be employed by the sponsor so I doubt these people would consider the idea a waste of time.

Jobsbridge is in fact one of the states most successful employment schemes and congratulations to the government is in order for actually reducing the unemployment numbers in Ireland and using schemes such as this to achieve their targets.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The internship debate is a good one - are unpaid internships immoral or not? It is argued that internships destroy job creation because someone is working for little or for free, thereby removing the incentive of the employer (or state) to hire someone and create a "proper job." I disagree however. Interns won't necessarily have the a complete skills set so jobs are not fully undermined by internships. Internships give young people valuable experience and something relevant to put on their CV - some many jobs now require not only an honours degree but 2 years experience, something blocking many graduates from applying to multiple jobs. I did an unpaid internship last summer in one of the Irish Department's and found to it be of great value. I learned new skills, got some experience and because of it, I felt that, combined with other aspects of my CV secured me a paid internship. Internships help young people begin to climb the greasy poll of society. Working for free in 2008 was how I got my first ever job. I walked into a restaurant and said, I will work one week for free, if you like me hire, I'll work for 6 euros an hour, and if you don't after the week we say goodbye. I got the jobs. Tips brought me up to 8 an hour, and because of my experience as a waiter I then got another job on 9.31 an hour. My point is, internships are valuable, I know the op wasn't really about internships and in this post I have completely failed to address the relevant issue so I apologise for that but as a previous poster said, giving people a feeling a worth is important. How can we achieve that as a society?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

O and by the way yes jobsbridge has serious issues, not denying that! I wasn't on jobsbridge though.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post

One was a geology graduate forced to work as a shelf stacker in Poundland for nothing.
    Lack of joined up thinking- they should have sent her to a Geology factory.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a jobsbridge scheme to work in a laundry (I wonder from where they got the inspiration for it?)

Homepage | Internship

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a word- slaves.
    One day a slave might come for your job.
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast