Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Climate Bill to have no targets other than Ireland achieve carbon neutrality by 2050

Default New Climate Bill to have no targets other than Ireland achieve carbon neutrality by 2050

New Climate Bill to have no targets other than Ireland achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.

Minister Hogan is to present the heads of the new Climate Bill to the government today, with legislation due by the end of the year. A cynical exercise or might such a bill which included real supports for private enterprise engagement actually work better than a target based approach.

The government acknowledge that EU climate legislation and targets are binding in this country so adding more targets could be said to be superflous.

Ireland has already performed excellently in the wind energy business yet Ireland had the least amount of feed in tariff support for Irish wind farms in Europe.

The Dublin Greenway Cluster and similar initiatives throughout the country has already brought significant jobs and companies to Ireland in the cleantech industrial sector both domestic and FDI.

By allowing Irish business to find the most profitable methods of dealing with climate issues, is it possible that evenif this is a cynical exercise might it backfire on the government and turn out to be a far more effective measure than simply laying down targets without developing the measures required to meet them.

The Irish Times had this to say New climate Bill to set no binding CO2 targets - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by He3; 12th February 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Amend title at request of poster
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member seismic change's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good move by Minister Hogan, hopefully this will encourage sme`s to invest.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the State will support private enterprise, but face zero sanction if/when it fails to meet those targets? Without ambitious (but achievable) binding targets, it sounds like a way of just subsidising donors to political parties and landowners.

What about this?
    Pass Labour’s Climate Change Bill to set legally
    binding carbon reduction targets in line with
    EU targets
    http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/la...festo_2011.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    So the State will support private enterprise, but face zero sanction if/when it fails to meet those targets? Without ambitious (but achievable) binding targets, it sounds like a way of just subsidising donors to political parties and landowners.

What about this?

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/la...festo_2011.pdf
    It will indeed be interesting how Labour votes in todays debate.

It is also true to say that the most effective way to fight climate change issues is to make the methods of achieving the measures necessary profitable and that needs the active participation of private industry.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Pat as a die in the wool capitalist right wing loony I can safely say... as long as their is some money to be made in it the masses [Ok about 2% of them] will follow.
    As for laying down targets... its ok as long as they are realistic.
    Swk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Dylan2010

do we not get credit for the fact that we will be exporting the next generation for the next 20 or 30 years. The population of this country could go to 10k and these clowns would think up ways of punishing people for living.

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    Well Pat as a die in the wool capitalist right wing loony I can safely say... as long as their is some money to be made in it the masses [Ok about 2% of them] will follow.
    As for laying down targets... its ok as long as they are realistic.
    Swk
    The success of the Greenway could be regarded as the pilot study and the increasing cost of Business As Usual fossil fuels should be an incentive. Oil and gas have quadrupled in price in the last decade.

Pat, your thread title's a bit of a mess
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Pat, your thread title's a bit of a mess
    Oops thanks SIL, if there is a mod around they might amend it, it should read New Climate Bill to have no targets other than Ireland achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    Oops thanks SIL, if there is a mod around they might amend it, it should finish other than Ireland achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
    You'll need a R in tagets, as well

If you want mods to change it, you'll have to click the report button on your OP and request it that way.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast