Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Irish titles for the sake of an Irish title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No more Irish titles for the sake of an Irish title

Right, time to ruffle a few feathers but the police thread got me thinking about this horrible way we just slap an Irish word onto something in order to a) make ourselves a little bit different from The British and b) a little sop to the Irish language, which lets face is, about sums up most peoples attitudes towards it and if I was an Irish speaker I think I'd find the whole thing rather patronising.

So, Gardai should just become Police, Taoiseach should just be Prime Minister (not interested in some wisearse telling me taoiseach means something else entirely so PM is not suitable), no more bilingual signs inside government and/or state buildings (Room 51/Rum 51) unless they are in Gaeltacht areas (they could have Irish only), same goes for road signage.

Let rip!
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Right, time to ruffle a few feathers but the police thread got me thinking about this horrible way we just slap an Irish word onto something in order to a) make ourselves a little bit different from The British and b) a little sop to the Irish language, which lets face is, about sums up most peoples attitudes towards it and if I was an Irish speaker I think I'd find the whole thing rather patronising.

So, Gardai should just become Police, Taoiseach should just be Prime Minister (not interested in some wisearse telling me taoiseach means something else entirely so PM is not suitable), no more bilingual signs inside government and/or state buildings (Room 51/Rum 51) unless they are in Gaeltacht areas (they could have Irish only), same goes for road signage.

Let rip!
    Zú le do thoil
    Last edited by Clanrickard; 12th February 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: mispelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And what is a "computeóir"?
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(Room 51/Rum 51)
    ???????? Stay off the Rum whatever you do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Zoo le do thoil
    I learned that there is no XYZ in the Irish language!
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Let rip!
    Sad little attempt at stirring it, really. A trip to the Park, perhaps?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let rip!

Funny how all this bothers you over there in Mother Engerlund
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    And what is a "computeóir"?
    Ríomhaire

Ramps

Let rip!
    It would be very difficult to justify the changes you suggest so long as Irish remains as the first language of state. I can't envisage any political party's suggesting the constitutional primacy of Irish be removed (remember how quick FG dropped its proposal to make Irish optional in school?!), nor could I see a majority of Irish people, who have a bizarre relationship with Irish, supporting such a change even if a proposal were made.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with the piety for a while yet.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Funny how all this bothers you over there in Mother Engerlund
    What's this Béarla means again?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast