Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE - Inside Irish Nationwide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default RTE - Inside Irish Nationwide

RT Television - Programmes - Factual - Inside Irish Nationwide

RTE 9:30'ish PM this evening. Extended news due to Vatican developments

In August 2010, Irish Nationwide Building Society required a €5.4 billion Government bailout to stay afloat, leaving it effectively in State ownership. It was a colossal sum of money for a small building society to require.

The Society had been run by Michael Fingleton until 2009 and for a long time he appeared to be very successful. Profits peaked at €391 million in 2007.

But in March 2009 when the country learned that Michael Fingleton had received a 1 million euro bonus the previous November just after the state guarantee, the public were furious. He promised to return the money but never did.

For the last two years Richard Curran has been working with journalist Tom Lyons to try and understand what happened inside Irish Nationwide. In that time they have unearthed new information that gives an insight into what really went on inside the building society.

Featuring new interviews with key people working at all levels of the society, new information on the lending practices of the building society we reveal how a small Irish building society went far beyond its competencies and ultimately resulted in enormous losses. Relative to its size, Irish Nationwide is proportionately the biggest banking collapse in the history of Irish State. The greatest tragedy was perhaps that no one ever said stop.
    So, are you going to watch this. The fall of INBS has been fairly well documented so will anything new emerge?
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Thanks for the reminder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Thanks for the reminder
    Surprised there was not a thread started on this. Given the week that was and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was inside nationwide once the biggest mistake i ever made in my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder will the programme mention the loan that Fingers fast tracked for McCreevy to buy his pad at the K-Club?

Or the loans fast tracked to Celia when she was loving de Bert?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the good news is that this crooked mini-bank is being bailed out by the PAYE taxpayers.

un-phucking-believable.

It should have been sunk. Nationalization of non-critical banks is an expensive policy. We should have let the mini-Bank of Fingers sink.

Did you know that Fingers was prominent on the Charity Event circuit ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by price_lifer View Post
    Richard Curran? Noel Curran's brother?
    Yes. Sunday Business Post. And Dragon's Den host

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bren Boru View Post
    I wonder will the programme mention the loan that Fingers fast tracked for McCreevy to buy his pad at the K-Club?

Or the loans fast tracked to Celia when she was loving de Bert?
    We'll know shortly enough.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE is truly a cosy little club isnt it?

Politics.ie Member powderfinger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The programme makers have seen the as yet unpublished reports by Ernst/Young and McCann/Fitzgerald into INBS,which were received by the Dept. of Finance.
    These reports formed the basis for Central Bank investigations into Fingleton's basket case.

'Unusual' management structure at Irish Nationwide - RTÉ News

The report found that €6.6m was paid into a trust company based in Jersey for which no documentation existed.

It said €10m was used to settle a legal dispute but there was no paperwork regarding the litigation.

It said there were €2m of invoices which the building society paid twice.

This issue went unchallenged and was not followed up.

The report said there was €435,000 paid to a company but when it was checked by Ernst & Young it emerged the firm did not exist at the address which had been specified.
    Ex-Irish Nationwide staff give witness statements in reckless loans inquiry - The Irish Times - Mon, Aug 20, 2012

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast