Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation of past Governments may not be put at risk by Oireachtas - says Government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reputation of past Governments may not be put at risk by Oireachtas - says Government.

Past governments cannot have their reputations affected, so nothing that could damage their reputations may be investigated. That is official.

Juno McEnroe of the Examiner has the scoop:

Legislation being drawn up will make it unlikely any banking probe will be able to scrutinise actions of former ministers or taoisigh, such as Brian Cowen, and their handling of the banking crisis and guarantee.

TDs and senators with the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee (PAC) were given the special confidential briefing of the planned legislation, seen by the Irish Examiner, a week ago.

“We were told that no findings of facts could be made against previous office holders and only could be made relating to future legislation. There’s a lot of confusion over this as it would essentially mean any banking inquiry is a sham,” said one Government TD.

The briefing was given by officials with Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin’s department, overseeing the drafting of the Oireachtas (Inquiries, Privileges and Procedures) Bill 2012. The laws will set out how the Oireachtas can conduct future parliamentary inquiries and will pave the way for the long-awaited parliamentary inquiry into the banking crisis.

Documents handed to members with an overview of the inquiries state: “The Dáil has an implicit constitutional power to conduct inquiries in order to hold the Government responsible, even if this affects the reputations of individual [but that] does not extend to investigating the activities of past governments.”
    The implication from that last line is plain and simple: past governments cannot have their reputations affected, so nothing that could damage their reputations may be investigated. So says this Government.

Beat that Kafka.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Past governments cannot have their reputations affected, so nothing that could damage their reputations may be investigated. That is official.

The last line is plain and simple: past governments cannot have their reputations affected, so nothing that could damage their reputations may be investigated. So says this Government.

Beat that Kafka.
    So we will have an Investigations Bill that allows no investigations?

That's so fvcking Irish!
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Politics.ie Member seanmoylantd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's why the Government hate the Internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanmoylantd View Post
    That's why the Government hate the Internet.
    Actually, that is a complete non-sequiter, in this context.

But never mind, off you go with your derailling.....

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And people laugh when i suggest we are not a democracy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    So we will have an Investigations Bill that allows no investigations?

That's so fvcking Irish!
    No, you can investigate yourself. Which of course will be utilised by everyone I'm sure.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    So we will have an Investigations Bill that allows no investigations?....
    Yes, just like the tribunals that 'find' no blame whatsoever and then pay the lawyers a fist of money. I can think of other uses for the fist.

What reputations?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post

The implication from that last line is plain and simple: past governments cannot have their reputations affected, so nothing that could damage their reputations may be investigated. So says this Government.

Beat that Kafka.
    so the politicians want to investigate everyone else and destroy peoples reputation but leave themselves alone. What is it that Fianna Fail are trying to hide? Oh sorry I forgot for a moment that Fine Gale and Labour the parties of openess and transparenncy are in Government

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So it's still the Abbeylara judgement that is causing this blockage, and the referendum failed.

If you voted against that, this is what you get.

Mr Howlin’s department pointed to restrictions set by the 2002 Abbeylara court judgement which ruled Oireachtas inquiries do not have the power to make findings or expressions of opinion against the good name of citizens.
    Bill restricts Dáil banking crisis probe | Irish Examiner

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast