Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dart sums up the state of this country

Politics.ie Member Mr Aphorisms's Avatar
    Non-binary, Polysexual. Livin' in a safe space.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Dart sums up the state of this country

I was heading out to town last night and arrived at my local Dart station at around half 10. Grand job, only had to wait about 7 minutes. Along comes the Dart and it is the longest possible carriage imaginable. I wait for the Dart at the top of the platform and as I board, there is no one in it. All good and it was a safe and pleasant ride to Tara Street station, and a grand night was had by all in Coppers.

However, on the weekdays, it is a different story. I always get the Dart into town to go to college and as one would expect, there's a myriad of people going to college and work and what not. The Dart carriage however, is sometimes very small. I would reckon the train coming from the South side towards Connolly I last boarded was about half the size of the one I hoped on last night.

It does be absolutely jammers in the mornings and you can hardly move (no chance of getting a seat, and a lot of people don't give up their seats for the elderly). Can someone please explain why the longest possible carriages are used during the night, when on one is on the Dart, but short carriages are used in the mornings, when there are people rushing to work, college, school and more? I have seen a lot of people unable to board the Dart in the mornings, because there is no room at all to get on. I'd say there's a health and safety risk somewhere along the lines. I am not sure the Dart was built to have peoples faces nearly smudged into the windows.

Anyone else travel by Dart in the mornings and have to put up with this nonsense? I am not sure if the problem is similar coming from the Northside towards town, but from the South side, it's an asinine problem, it really is.
    I hate money making men - Alexander Hamilton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

#firstworldproblems
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    #firstworldproblems
    #itsp.ienottwitter

the op makes a great point about the total lack of joined up thinking and foresight in this country
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Member Mr Aphorisms's Avatar
    Non-binary, Polysexual. Livin' in a safe space.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus, sorry. I didn't know the transport thread was only for train crashes and third world transportation systems.

#acorkwhorewouldn'tunderstandanyway
    I hate money making men - Alexander Hamilton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I notice similar on the local trains here in Birmingham. I think it's because each set of three carriages can be used, so at rush-hour when services are more frequent they split them up to provide more capacity.

However they seem to use six carriages whenever they can at quieter times, even when it isn't necessary - which surely causes more electricity to be used and more wear and tear on the carriages.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Aphorisms View Post
    Jaysus, sorry. I didn't know the transport thread was only for train crashes and third world transportation systems.

#acorkwhorewouldn'tunderstandanyway
    It's the same in Cork anyway, except there's far too many donkeys at off-peak times and then there's a handful struggling when the social welfare offices open.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottovonbismarck View Post
    Why?
    Should it be?
    Should Ireland have an unsafe, mediocre service just because India does?
    Aspire higher.
    It could be like German or Swiss trains.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Aphorisms View Post
    I was heading out to town last night and arrived at my local Dart station at around half 10. Grand job, only had to wait about 7 minutes. Along comes the Dart and it is the longest possible carriage imaginable. I wait for the Dart at the top of the platform and as I board, there is no one in it. All good and it was a safe and pleasant ride to Tara Street station, and a grand night was had by all in Coppers.

However, on the weekdays, it is a different story. I always get the Dart into town to go to college and as one would expect, there's a myriad of people going to college and work and what not. The Dart carriage however, is sometimes very small. I would reckon the train coming from the South side towards Connolly I last boarded was about half the size of the one I hoped on last night.

It does be absolutely jammers in the mornings and you can hardly move (no chance of getting a seat, and a lot of people don't give up their seats for the elderly). Can someone please explain why the longest possible carriages are used during the night, when on one is on the Dart, but short carriages are used in the mornings, when there are people rushing to work, college, school and more? I have seen a lot of people unable to board the Dart in the mornings, because there is no room at all to get on. I'd say there's a health and safety risk somewhere along the lines. I am not sure the Dart was built to have peoples faces nearly smudged into the windows.

Anyone else travel by Dart in the mornings and have to put up with this nonsense? I am not sure if the problem is similar coming from the Northside towards town, but from the South side, it's an asinine problem, it really is.

The Psychological Effects of Commuting in Dublin
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast