Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Union Leaders: is it time for change?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Trade Union Leaders: is it time for change?

David Begg has been general secretary for ICTU since 2001.

Jack O'Connor has been in charge of SIPTU since 2003.

Liam Doran seems to have been around forever in charge of (the largely female) nurses.

1. Is it time for them, and other pre-bust leaders, to move on?
    2. Will their continued "leadership" serve their members?
    3. Has their full participation in the Ahern era social partnership compromised their authority?
    4. Are they overpaid relative to their members?
    5. Given that government, senior civil service in finance, banks have all seen change at the top - is it time for the unions to change leaders?

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy...-february.html

Irish Congress of Trade Unions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...de-unions.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...s-failure.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...hey-about.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy...t-polemic.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...nions-roi.html

Note: I'm not a member of any union but their necessity to protect the working conditions of their members is indisputable (except by those with Reagan/Thatcher fantasies who usually use the term "beards". I'm am also considering attending today's march but I would find it very difficult to listen through any speech by David Begg without booing.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Begg is your only man for the job in my opinion.

Active and well rewarded mover and shaker during the bubble - on the board of Aer Lingus, the Central Bank, etc., over saw bench marking from his lofty Ivory Tower, happy to suck at the states teat for himself and his members, BUT still manages to deflect any sense of blame or shame when the monster he helped create turned around to bite the hand that reluctantly fed it.
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, they should certainly move on and yes they are overpaid.
    It is however for the union members to decide this and act, I have assume that here will be a massive backlash against them sooner rather then later.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Begg is your only man for the job in my opinion.

Active and well rewarded mover and shaker during the bubble - on the board of Aer Lingus, the Central Bank, etc., over saw bench marking from his lofty Ivory Tower, happy to suck at the states teat for himself and his members, BUT still manages to deflect any sense of blame or shame when the monster he helped create turned around to bite the hand that reluctantly fed it.
    I don't know how he is supposed to have "deflected any sense of blame"

The media never STOP blaming union leaders and "beards" for seeking to better the pay and conditions of their members--which is what their members pay them to do....

They are not paid by "the taxpayer", although it is in the interests of certain persons to pretend that they are...

Liam Doran seems very competent and articulate, for example, and argues the nurses' case very well--but it would be up to the nurses to decide whether it is time for a new hand at the helm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be happy if there was an end to trade unions full stop tbh.
    Repeal the 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are paid by the members of a Union and these Union leaders are notoriously secretive abour their own salaries. Joe 0'Toole, former Union head of the INTO and huge fan of benchmarking, had such influence over his grateful members that they voted him into the Senate so it can be assumed that he is enjoying a comfortable retirement.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KEYHOLE KATE View Post
    They are paid by the members of a Union and these Union leaders are notoriously secretive abour their own salaries. Joe 0'Toole, former Union head of the INTO and huge fan of benchmarking, had such influence over his grateful members that they voted him into the Senate so it can be assumed that he is enjoying a comfortable retirement.
    It was reported in the press that Jack O'Connor earned 115K and David Begg 136K....I'm not sure if these salaries have been reduced since...

But private sector head honchos are always very cagey about revealing their salaries--as are ordinary private sector workers on this site.

Union bosses' salaries are not funded from the public purse so I don't understand this obsession with what the top guys earn.

The top guys in every organisation or business earn big bucks compared to you or me

The question is: Do they give value for money to those who pay their wages?

And in general the unions probably do.

Certainly there should be no surprise that "Joe O'Toole's grateful members voted him into the Senate"

More than any group the Primary Teachers saw improvements in their pay and conditions under O'Toole's skillful leadership....(not that I could ever stand the guy...but that is a different issue)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KEYHOLE KATE View Post
    Joe 0'Toole, former Union head of the INTO and huge fan of benchmarking, had such influence over his grateful members that they voted him into the Senate so it can be assumed that he is enjoying a comfortable retirement.
    INTO members have elected people to the Senate before Joe O' Toole, as in Jackie Brosnan. Nothing new there and certainly not from adoration of JO'T, but merely a way of maximising influence. I think you would find that employers are well represented in parliament at all levels also.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    It was reported in the press that Jack O'Connor earned 115K and David Begg 136K....I'm not sure if these salaries have been reduced since...

But private sector head honchos are always very cagey about revealing their salaries--as are ordinary private sector workers on this site.

Union bosses' salaries are not funded from the public purse so I don't understand this obsession with what the top guys earn.

The top guys in every organisation or business earn big bucks compared to you or me

The question is: Do they give value for money to those who pay their wages?

And in general the unions probably do.

Certainly there should be no surprise that "Joe O'Toole's grateful members voted him into the Senate"

More than any group the Primary Teachers saw improvements in their pay and conditions under O'Toole's skillful leadership....(not that I could ever stand the guy...but that is a different issue)
    Trade Union leaders are paid nothing near as well as other senior executives with similar responsibilities and they generally deliver better value to their members than most private sector executives deliver to their shareholders.
    The typical P.ie posting, right wing, PS basher seems incapable of understanding this very simple fact. Let us repeat, they are private sector senior executives, chief executives in effect, they are well paid but not to the level of those with whom they negotiate. They are not public sector employees, they are not funded from the public purse and their role is the same as that of any CEO - to deliver maximum shareholder value. Simple, isn't it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PUFF DADDY View Post
    I'd be happy if there was an end to trade unions full stop tbh.
    I'm afraid that you will have to endure your state of unhappiness then.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast