Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Irish forget Gaeilge and go and learn the languages of the 'new irish' ?

Default Should the Irish forget Gaeilge and go and learn the languages of the 'new irish' ?

Lets face it, the attempts to revive Gaeilge have been an abject expensive failure. Apart from English, the vibrant languages being spoken by large swathes of our population are certainly alive and well.

Anyway, while walking slowly along a narrow path and burdened with some heavy bags it came to my attention that a couple of 'new irish' were walking behind me and frustrated with the speed of my progress. There followed a tirade in one of these languages. Unbeknownst to these individuals, i understood pretty much every word. It was not 'Cead mile failte' - in fact it was the kind of invective we were never taught in Irish class.

It was not so much a case of 'feel the love' as 'do not be played for a fool'. There was certainly no love in the tirade. I was shocked but still glad to have enough vocabulary to know hostility when i hear it.

So, should we still bang our heads against the wall with Gaeilge, or should we learn another language or three and know what the people around us are saying about us ?

Languages Spoken in Ireland - Lexiophiles
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Learning a language so as to know what abusive terms others are using about you is probably the worst reason ever to learn another language.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish are completely oblivious to the benefits of learning German French etc as long as they have the escape route to the English speaking countries of USA Australia etc. We are good workers in all professions but we cant avail of the great opportunities on the European continent because of the shortage of langauage skills

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

No

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    Lets face it, the attempts to revive Gaeilge have been an abject expensive failure. Apart from English, the vibrant languages being spoken by large swathes of our population are certainly alive and well.

Anyway, while walking slowly along a narrow path and burdened with some heavy bags it came to my attention that a couple of 'new irish' were walking behind me and frustrated with the speed of my progress. There followed a tirade in one of these languages. Unbeknownst to these individuals, i understood pretty much every word. It was not 'Cead mile failte' - in fact it was the kind of invective we were never taught in Irish class.

It was not so much a case of 'feel the love' as 'do not be played for a fool'. There was certainly no love in the tirade. I was shocked but still glad to have enough vocabulary to know hostility when i hear it.

So, should we still bang our heads against the wall with Gaeilge, or should we learn another language or three and know what the people around us are saying about us ?

Languages Spoken in Ireland - Lexiophiles
    Is this the New Paranoia? Just because you think they are talking about you doesn't mean they aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why didn't you just let them pass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The amount of Gaelscoils will surely make a difference, how about they speaking in our language be it Irish or English.

Quote Originally Posted by revolution View Post
    Why didn't you just let them pass?
    I was jammed in between a wall and a railing, after 5 yards i did let them pass. But this was after being called every insulting name in their lexicon.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

I don't really understand. Were the people behind you speaking a language other than Irish?

Also, are you actually suggesting we stop learning our national language so that we can understand what angry foreigners are saying about us??

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast