Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Easter Rising - List of those who were to be executed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Easter Rising - List of those who were to be executed?

Approximately 90 people were sentenced to death in the aftermath of the Easter Rising in 1916.
    Does anyone know if the original list of all those sentenced is available to the public?

Or at least the names of some of the individuals who were to be executed but were reprieved? I assume the document exists in British archives somewhere.

As most of us know, 16 were put to death, including Thomas Kent, who was executed in Cork on 9 May, and Roger Casement, who was hanged in London on 3 August.
    Department of Taoiseach - The Executed Leaders of the 1916 Rising

I'm guessing that someone like Cathal Brugha, who was number 2 in command under Éamonn Ceannt at the South Dublin Union workhouse, would have been executed had it not been for the British decision to put an end to them. Same with Seán T. O'Kelly etc...

List of Easter Rising participants:
    Participants in the 1916 Rising

^^
    The 1936 Roll of 1916 Rising Participants
    The article [above] appeared in The Irish Times newspaper on the 25th of May 1936 and reports on the presentation of scrolls to President de Valera. The article is interesting in that it gives the numbers of those who took part in the 1916 Rising as 1599.
    Last edited by diy01; 8th February 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thomas Kent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Corrected, thanks. I mixed him up with his brother David, who was also involved with the Volunteers.