Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcuffs: what are the Garda rules/procedures on handcuffing suspects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Handcuffs: what are the Garda rules/procedures on handcuffing suspects?

Does anyone know the Garda rules or protocols on use of handcuffs? Are they used routinely on people suspected of road traffic offences for example?

This advertisement confirms that Garda reserve trainees are trained in their use http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/...05/booklet.htm.

What are the procedures?
    Last edited by He3; 8th February 2013 at 02:36 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Light reading for the weekend from another jurisdiction -

Association of Chief Police Officers: Guidance on the use of handcuffs
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Does anyone know the Garda rules or protocols on use of handcuffs? Are they used routinely on people suspected of road traffic offences for example?

This advertisement confirms that Garda reserve trainees are trained in their use http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/...05/booklet.htm.

What are the procedures?
    Minor road traffic offences at that.. in recent high profile case the illegal turn was made late on a Sunday evening.. the turn in question is illegal not because it's dangerous but to manage traffic flow on the SCR.

Every taxi driver in Dublin takes these turns between midnight and 6am when the roads are quiet.

Yes it's an offence but calling it dangerous driving is stretching it a little.

So handcuffs seem unnecessarily forceful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Light reading for the weekend from another jurisdiction -

Association of Chief Police Officers: Guidance on the use of handcuffs
    Claire Daly said she was handcuffed and placed in a cell. It is standard procedure in all cases now, she was told.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where's the Daly drink driving thread gone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It probably would depend on how dangerous the Garda thought the criminal was.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Great, this can be like the sweep at weddings, to see who guesses how long the speeches will be.

So, how long before this thread needs to be shut down?

I say 12 minutes.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post
    Where's the Daly drink driving thread gone?
    Just on RTE news now to say she has been cleared of drunk driving. She is making a complaint about the leaking by Garda of her case to their cronies in the media.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love this:

The Garda ombudsman does not comment on individual complaints made to it.
    A Garda spokeswoman said she could not comment on any case being investigated by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission. Asked to outline standard procedure in cases of arrests for alleged drink-driving, the Garda Press Office said it could not comment, as the request for information was linked to a current complaint made to the ombudsman.
    Kafka would tip his hat.

Daly 'was below drink-drive limit' - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 08, 2013

Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been arrested a few times (protests etc) and have never been handcuffed. On one occasion the sergeant asked me to walk to Store Street with him as no car was available and he still didn't handcuff me! Given the circumstances the gardai knew I wasn't going to run off. Obviously Clare DAly was not a flight risk. So use of handcuffs looks unjustified.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast