Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Estate Agents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dealing With Estate Agents

I am hoping that this thread maybe of benefit to anyone on this site who may have to deal with an Estate Agent or for those who would like to impart their experiences in having to deal with them in the past!

I am a potential first time buyer and have yet to start looking but a very close friend of mine (who I rented with for a number of years) has just bought his first home with his GF and it seems that he went through hell trying to deal with a number of estate agents. His most common experience was that he'd make an offer of 'x', the auctioneer would tell him that he would ring back the next day but would not call back for about 6/7 days and would then pretend that nothing happened.

As I am a potenital first time buyer and hope to start looking soon, has anyone out there had similar experiences?

I would like to hear all negative and indeed positive feedback with regards to dealing with Estate Agents (and the mind games they seem to play!)

Thanks.
    All great truths start as blasphemies

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maction View Post
    I am hoping that this thread maybe of benefit to anyone on this site who may have to deal with an Estate Agent or for those who would like to impart their experiences in having to deal with them in the past!

I am a potential first time buyer and have yet to start looking but a very close friend of mine (who I rented with for a number of years) has just bought his first home with his GF and it seems that he went through hell trying to deal with a number of estate agents. His most common experience was that he'd make an offer of 'x', the auctioneer would tell him that he would ring back the next day but would not call back for about 6/7 days and would then pretend that nothing happened.

As I am a potenital first time buyer and hope to start looking soon, has anyone out there had similar experiences?

I would like to hear all negative and indeed positive feedback with regards to dealing with Estate Agents (and the mind games they seem to play!)

Thanks.
    Auctioneers take bids "off the wall" during an auction. It is the art of convincing the room that some one has made a bid when they have not.

If you make a bid to an auctioneer always make it conditional for a limited time. Do tell them you have an offer on another property even if you have not. Always look at other houses on their books even if you have no interest in them. Never let them know how much you can spend, or if you particularly like a house.

Do tell them you will require discounts subject to a surveyors or engineers report. Ask them where they go on holidays and if they are going again in the near future. Do thell them you will pay a finders fee if they can find you a house under a certain price!

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.
    View the property and if you like it contact the owner direct, tell him/her you are serious and put in a bid and give the owner you phone number and a deadline to make the decision. Tell the owner you want to deal directly with them and cut out all the zigging and zagging. Worked for me.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.
    You could try cutting out the middleman. You're quite entitled to deal directly with the seller, if they are willing to go that way. I've done that before and it worked very well.
    I've also used an estate agent to sell a house, and that wasn't a great experience. They messed up the deal and I lost about 10,000, and yes that was Punts, so it wasn't yesterday - and 10,000 then was a lot more then than it is now - plus Punts were worth more than Euro's. I don't know if that info is much good to you, but there you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Auctioneers take bids "off the wall" during an auction. It is the art of convincing the room that some one has made a bid when they have not.

If you make a bid to an auctioneer always make it conditional for a limited time. Do tell them you have an offer on another property even if you have not. Always look at other houses on their books even if you have no interest in them. Never let them know how much you can spend, or if you particularly like a house.

Do tell them you will require discounts subject to a surveyors or engineers report. Ask them where they go on holidays and if they are going again in the near future. Do thell them you will pay a finders fee if they can find you a house under a certain price!
    ???????
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Thanks.
    Ask EA for confirmation in writing of offer.

If they fail to do so then feel free to knock on door of house if owner occupied and tell them you made an offer but EA is not dealing with it or responding.

It happened to a relative and offer not passed on, vendor rang EA to ask them why and got the BS of we were just about to call you and tell you of this offer. EA rang buyer who still with vendor and abused him, all on speaker telling he would never get the house as no intention of passing on anything. Buyer handed phone to Vendor who then told EA to "Go F*** Yourself" and dismissed him.

Relative had only gived his name to EA so after vendor dismissed EA it was bought in GFs name which prevented EA demanding a fee in court for the introduction.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pleb View Post
    You could try cutting out the middleman. You're quite entitled to deal directly with the seller, if they are willing to go that way. I've done that before and it worked very well.
    I've also used an estate agent to sell a house, and that wasn't a great experience. They messed up the deal and I lost about 10,000, and yes that was Punts, so it wasn't yesterday - and 10,000 then was a lot more then than it is now - plus Punts were worth more than Euro's. I don't know if that info is much good to you, but there you go.
    If you place your house for sale with an agent and sell it your self you will still have to pay the agent their fee.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    ???????
    It is the standard etiquette to see if they will take a bribe. If they do run a mile!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is the standard etiquette to see if they will take a bribe. If they do run a mile!
    Honestly, hand't heard that one....
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you place your house for sale with an agent and sell it your self you will still have to pay the agent their fee.
    If you're the buyer you don't give a sh1te, not your problem.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast