Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marching? Give me a break

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Marching? Give me a break

I have seen ENDLESSSSSSSSSS comments trying to gte people to march against... well you name it... today it's marching against the promissory to bond mess...

Give me a break people.

Marching does feck all. Except demoralise marchers, as it reminds them that the government doesn't listen to people wandering around in the rain.

If you wanna change things, brilliant. Do it. But don't try and do it with marching.

You just look asinine.

And before you demand I give you a better alternative, ask yourself, "when is the last time the government changed a major policy decision because of marching. Anyone remember the anti-Iraq War marches? Millions of people. And we still got a war in Iraq.

Use all that energy to think of something better to do to affect change.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like a tax strike, for example.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    I have seen ENDLESSSSSSSSSS comments trying to gte people to march against... well you name it... today it's marching against the promissory to bond mess...

Give me a break people.

Marching does feck all. Except demoralise marchers, as it reminds them that the government doesn't listen to people wandering around in the rain.

If you wanna change things, brilliant. Do it. But don't try and do it with marching.

You just look asinine.

And before you demand I give you a better alternative, ask yourself, "when is the last time the government changed a major policy decision because of marching. Anyone remember the anti-Iraq War marches? Millions of people. And we still got a war in Iraq.

Use all that energy to think of something better to do to affect change.
    Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting sh!te on P.ie ??
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting sh!te on P.ie ??

Poor you.

Lashing out at me.

Must be having a bad day/life.

Hope things improve!
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marching is effective and can have an effect if there is a one day strike on as well and if its on a working weekday. If everyone downed tools and barricaded Dáil Eireann it could work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Marching is effective and can have an effect if there is a one day strike on as well and if its on a working weekday. If everyone downed tools and barricaded Dáil Eireann it could work.
    Marching is ineffective.

How many marches have taken place against cuts... have they stopped? What about against the bondholders? And did they work?

Other things, like making a media stink, can work, but not marching... no one cares, least of all politicians.

What about when pensioners marched against the removal of their medical cards? What about when rural communities marched against the closing down of small rural schools?

They are two examples off the top of my head as to why you are incorrect.

Additionally, it helps to increase curiosity and awareness amongst people on the streets, particularly if combined with a leafleting campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Protestant/Catholic=Irish View Post
    What about when pensioners marched against the removal of their medical cards? What about when rural communities marched against the closing down of small rural schools?

They are two examples off the top of my head as to why you are incorrect.

Additionally, it helps to increase curiosity and awareness amongst people on the streets, particularly if combined with a leafleting campaign.
    The MAIN part of BOTH of those campaigns was a media campaign. They woulda both had the same outcome without a single marcher.

Lots of media campaigns work, but marching without a media campaign: worthless. Media campaign without marching: mixed results.

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    Marching is ineffective.

How many marches have taken place against cuts... have they stopped? What about against the bondholders? And did they work?

Other things, like making a media stink, can work, but not marching... no one cares, least of all politicians.
    What about the blue rinse brigade and their protests against the medical card cuts?

They were very effective.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    What about the blue rinse brigade and their protests against the medical card cuts?

They were very effective.
    That was a MEDIA campaign.

You know about it because it was on the radio and telly, not because you saw OAPs in the streets.

And guess what, even without the march they woulda won because the media was on it like flies on ************************.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast