Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a subsidised bar in Garda HQ?

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is there a subsidised bar in Garda HQ?

I was driving through the Phoenix Park yesterday morning and saw a fully loaded beer delivery truck pulling past the security barrier of Garda HQ.

I knew the state provides subsidised alcohol to the army on a barracks but I didn't know that they were providing drink to An Garda Siochana. It certainly seems odd if they were because of the police forces remit in drink driving offences.

McKee barracks backs onto Garda HQ and maybe the Army beer gains access through the Garda grounds.

Are senior Gardai getting juiced-up as a state provided perk of the job? I'm sure that senior ranks of the Gardai take the drink driving laws extremely seriously but the optics look all wrong, there are certainly very few houses within walking distance of Garda HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a Mess that seves alcohol in McKee baracks but Garda HQ I thought was dry.

They do have their own clubs like the Rowing Club and the Garda Club that serve alcohol at club rates and there used to be beer served in Templemore at club rates also. I don't think anyone lives in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    I was driving through the Phoenix Park yesterday morning and saw a fully loaded beer delivery truck pulling past the security barrier of Garda HQ.

I knew the state provides subsidised alcohol to the army on a barracks but I didn't know that they were providing drink to An Garda Siochana. It certainly seems odd if they were because of the police forces remit in drink driving offences.

I really cannot abide the piety and piousness of such postings - get a life.

McKee barracks backs onto Garda HQ and maybe the Army beer gains access through the Garda grounds.

Are senior Gardai getting juiced-up as a state provided perk of the job? I'm sure that senior ranks of the Gardai take the drink driving laws extremely seriously but the optics look all wrong, there are certainly very few houses within walking distance of Garda HQ.
    I really cannot abide the piety and piousness of such posts - get a life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps ot is on the garda yacht! Which I think is based in cork!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    There is a Mess that seves alcohol in McKee baracks but Garda HQ I thought was dry.

They do have their own clubs like the Rowing Club and the Garda Club that serve alcohol at club rates and there used to be beer served in Templemore at club rates also. I don't think anyone lives in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

I hear that these guys only paid 1.5% pension contribution and can retire at 50!
    Now they pay a bit more but such gold plating that existed until now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    I hear that these guys only paid 1.5% pension contribution and can retire at 50!
    Would you like their job?

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    I really cannot abide the piety and piousness of such posts - get a life.
    Boo hoo. I'm wounded.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    Boo hoo. I'm wounded.
    I don't really care - I stand over my comment - I am so so fed up with this sort of nannying. Live and let live.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    I don't really care - I stand over my comment - I am so so fed up with this sort of nannying. Live and let live.
    What is a HQ doing with a bar, subsidized or not?

TV Listings, Radio Listings, 7 day Listings, Satellite & TV Guide, Irish, Radio Guide, Television Guide - RTÉ Ten

Under the Influence New series. The comedian [Des Bishop] explores Ireland's relationship with alcohol and other addictive commodities, revealing how he has been tee-total since the age of 19. He asks if the general public are in denial about the issue, if there is such a thing as an addictive personality and investigates what part society plays in encouraging excessive behaviour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    What is a HQ doing with a bar, subsidized or not?
    I would imagine that if it does it is probably used for one off events like functions for Promotions or what not. Nobody lives in the place full time so there is no need for a Mess like they would have in a baracks

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast