Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ireland now importing Herbs from Kenya and Spain. And doughnuts from France

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland now importing Herbs from Kenya and Spain. And doughnuts from France

Was in Superquinn and Aldi the other day and buying some herbs

When I got home I was very surprised to see the mint had been imported from Kenya.

The herbs in Aldi were imported from Spain.

The 'Fresh from Superquinn" doughnuts were imported from France.

I understand we have to import goods, but these are very basic products that even an individual could produce in their Semi-D.

No wonder unemployment is so high in this country.

Image LINK

Last edited by YesSireeeBob; 6th February 2013 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we are a small open economy
    the envy of all europe

people like you should just go away and commit suicide
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can add potatoes from Israel, and blackberries from Peru.(Thats blackberries that grow in our ditches not the phones).
    Oh, and wood from Lithuania to make our hurley sticks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Buy Irish Cod from the French. Now that is sick.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And one of the few things we do produce in agriculture, beef....we can't even get that right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post

When I got home I was very surprised to see the mint had been imported from Kenya.

I understand we have to import goods, but these are very basic products that even an individual could produce in their Semi-D.

Image LINK

For the clever and motivated amongst us, there is a business idea there to be grabbed.

Make a doughnut as good and slightly cheaper than the French and the World can be your oyster.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post

[/IMG]

Well there is your business opportunity - stop moaning and give people an alternative - Irish people will buy irish if they have the opportunity as long as it hasn't got any horse dna in it.

probably other people in other countries having the same discussion about all the Irish agricultural produce on their supermarket shelves.
    A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman thinks of the next generation. - James Freeman Clarke

Beef can be created more cost effectively in other places, why do we export so much beef so? Quality- I'm not sure which herbs or what type of doughnuts you're speaking of here but I would imagine if it was possible to get the same product (Quality and Quantity) here we would be sourcing it here if it was cost effective.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EmmettTCorcoran View Post
    Beef can be created more cost effectively in other places, why do we export so much beef so? Quality- I'm not sure which herbs or what type of doughnuts you're speaking of here but I would imagine if it was possible to get the same product (Quality and Quantity) here we would be sourcing it here if it was cost effective.
    Chocolate ring doughnuts
    All types of herbs - basil, mint ect all came from kenya / Spain.

here's a picture of the box

Last edited by YesSireeeBob; 6th February 2013 at 08:28 PM.

Politics.ie Member uz.r.ol.2.much's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i lived above a fine restaurant in barcelona and the fish which they are famous for came from lough foyle. my jaw near hit the floor when i saw the boxes stacked up in storage. food which i could afford once in a blue moon at home is on sale here for daily consumption.
    the irish have a wealth of products that they are not marketing correctly. each region here has their own cheeses, wines, olives and other food products which are sold both locally and all over the country; not only are they superior to other foods, they are also an excellent source of income on the export market. thankfully factory farming hasn't destroyed everything here yet. ireland should be doing the same. our whiskey industry is lamentable for example.
    'I do wish your lot had the decency to shoot me.' Constance Georgine Markievicz.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast