Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorns Do Exist, So What Next For NI?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Unicorns Do Exist, So What Next For NI?

We rarely actually have any real debate on here, just a series of slanging matches ( in which even highly respected posters such as my good-self have occasionally participated )

So based on the assumption that the census and mori poll are fairly accurate indications of current thinking in NI (there are plenty of threads were this assumption can be debated) What next for NI?

Now try explaining to either a Loyalist in East Belfast or a Republican in West Londonderry (Bogside) that the majority of 'nationalists' are unlikely to vote for a UI!!

For a start we have Unicorns/Catholic Unionists/CNI or whatever label one wishes to attribute to them, now these may well 'side' with unionism on the BIG question, but only a tiny number of them will vote for unionists parties. A large section of them are still 'nationalists' voting for nationalist parties.

Imho Politically some one has to step up and say 'The status quo is what the majority on both sides wants lets make it work' as the 'centre' party Alliance would seem the ideal candidates but if i am honest i don't see any of the parties doing anything any differently, and if they did i think the one party that could actually benefit the most would be SDLP...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big up the whole joint-identity aspect of NI. Change "British versus Irish" into "best of both worlds" and move forward from that.

Start thinking in terms of adding rather than taking away, start accepting the idea that north-south relations can be valued without it taking away from east-west ones and think of yourselves as the "missing link" between the folks in Dublin and the ones in London.

Northern Ireland has two nations that feel a great deal of affinity and kinship with it. Stop thinking of that as a threat to either. Bring people together rather than obsessing about seperateness from either the south or mainland Britain.

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKBAC View Post
    Big up the whole joint-identity aspect of NI. Change "British versus Irish" into "best of both worlds" and move forward from that.

Start thinking in terms of adding rather than taking away, start accepting the idea that north-south relations can be valued without it taking away from east-west ones and think of yourselves as the "missing link" between the folks in Dublin and the ones in London.

Northern Ireland has two nations that feel a great deal of affinity and kinship with it. Stop thinking of that as a threat to either. Bring people together rather than obsessing about seperateness from either the south or mainland Britain.
    Agree 100%.

Now is the moment to try to make steps towards a long-term arrangement that everyone is at least reasonably happy about. Greater North-South co-operation, Gaelic lettering on sign-posts, a flag that everyone could agree on - those might be suitable small steps. Integration of education - not in the sense of destroying Catholic education, but simply ensuring that children from the two sides of the community grow up side by side - might be another (although, like anything that affects our children's education, it is a significant step that we would want to ensure that it would work properly).

Of these, I suspect that a shared flag might be surprisingly significant.

And, if we do get a consensus solution, another thing to be done - find another topic to argue about here.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are dreaming lads, what we get with this result is more British/Unionism rammed down our throats, the Unionist politicos are incapable of going for a best of both worlds scenario, that's the reality.

More of the same ahead and that's also the reality. People are suggesting that we should "make NI work", by doing what exactly? It is what it is and people talking shyte is not going to change it.

Anything that is even remotely Irish will be suppressed by Unionists and that's a fact, SF/SDLP will respond in kind.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both Unionists (well, the more bigoted kind of Loyalists) and Republicans (the Global Tosser types) seem to be their own worst enemies.

Just at the point when there seemed to be some C/N/R acceptance of the Northern Ireland State, the ridiculous flag protests started, exactly the kind of thing that prevents Catholics from accepting the British state.

However, to my mind, the Republican mindset appears to be worse. We get post after post after post of Unionist baiting on politics.ie. I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifor Bach View Post
    I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.
    Those republicans you speak of have no intention or desire to unite with Unionists - they want Unionism marginalised as an irrelevance in an all-island state.

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    You are dreaming lads, what we get with this result is more British/Unionism rammed down our throats, the Unionist politicos are incapable of going for a best of both worlds scenario, that's the reality.

More of the same ahead and that's also the reality. People are suggesting that we should "make NI work", by doing what exactly? It is what it is and people talking shyte is not going to change it.

Anything that is even remotely Irish will be suppressed by Unionists and that's a fact, SF/SDLP will respond in kind.
    Finding arrangements that are acceptable to all sides - finding consensus.

It can be done. It was done by France and Germany. They started by co-operating about coal and steel production. We already have a head start - there are lots of areas of co-operation, there are lots of Irish things that are not suppressed by Unionists - e.g. the roads (no border), the Irish Rugby team. I would agree that there should be more - Irish language, Irish sign-posts etc and I agree that Unionist politicians often oppose such steps. But this should change, especially if we can move further away from a winner-loser situation (where Irish-related things are seen as defeats for Unionism) to a consensus situation.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren H View Post
    Those republicans you speak of have no intention or desire to unite with Unionists - they want Unionism marginalised as an irrelevance in an all-island state.
    Unionists would be a 20% voting block in any Unified State.
    Whether Republicans in the 6 counties wanted to marginalise them or not,and i have no doubt some would love an attempt at "revenge", It wouldn't happen for the simple reason,that the Republic's citizens wouldn't allow it and they wouldn't remove their lips from the Unionist communities collective arses for about a decade after reunification..
    Sure you don't believe a United Ireland will ever happen anyway,so i don't know why you even made that comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unionists realise this, and rightly tell them to go f*** themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which won't happen. 20% is too significant for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifor Bach View Post
    Both Unionists (well, the more bigoted kind of Loyalists) and Republicans (the Global Tosser types) seem to be their own worst enemies.

Just at the point when there seemed to be some C/N/R acceptance of the Northern Ireland State, the ridiculous flag protests started, exactly the kind of thing that prevents Catholics from accepting the British state.

However, to my mind, the Republican mindset appears to be worse. We get post after post after post of Unionist baiting on politics.ie. I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.
    SF/SDLP stated before the flag vote that they were anticipating a compromise, which then came from Alliance. If Unionists wanted the make Nationalism comfortable in NI, they would be willing to compromise. But they are not - what they want is for Nationalism to disappear as an ideology and nothing less. That will never happen.

Time for McCrea, McCallister and McClarty to sort something out.
    "It seems that mankind doesn't really have a passion for listening." - Jr. Gong, 2007.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast