Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 17% of People in NI want a United Ireland - What do People of the Republic think?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 17% of People in NI want a United Ireland - What do People of the Republic think?

Last night BBC released a Poll on whether people in NI want a United Ireland

The findings are below
    Do you wish to remain part of the UK
    Yes 65
    No 17
    Among definitely vote: yes 79-21

catholics would vote

38% UK
    35% UI
    18% Wont vote
    9% DK

Seeing as few from the South have commented on the thread in the NI forum - I thought maybe if would get a better response on the Main Forum. Judging by the media in the Republic this morning, it has received little to no coverage, so many will be unaware of it.

So what do you think as southerns?
    With close to a 50:50 split in Northern Ireland (Catholics/Protestants) Are you disappointed that so many in NI wish to remain part of the UK?
    Do you even want a United Island?
    Is their a complete disconnect between those who want a United Island and those who wish things to remain as is?

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must say it is ever so refreshing to hear a new topic mentioned on p.ie!

Can't wait to hear the informed responses from posters who will no doubt remain on topic.

Anyway, the carcass has fallen so the vultures are no doubt circling overhead so I better get outta here.

Happy debating y'all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't and won't presume to speak for anyone other than myself here, but here's my opinion.

Continued peace, even if it's at the expense of unity, is the higher priority.
    If they come to ethnically cleanse me, Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
    Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright, Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

17% of People in NI want a United Ireland - What do People of the Republic think?
    This person of the republic thinks, a minority of a minority of NI people want a UI. Let us both focus on improving our respective lots for a generation and revisit. How's that?
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does it really matter what we think, we have no say in the matter!

However in my opinion the SF plan to hold a poll is nonsensical and I think that we in the South are nowhere near being ready for reunification and definitely could not afford it.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is clear the people of the north don't want unification right now. It is not the time anyway. Leave the issue now for a generation. Let them try and resolve their differences up there before asking them to join us down here. And we should concentrate on making this a true Republic fair and ran properly for the people. Forget unification for now.

Another point.. can we really refer to people as nationalists anymore when the majority of catholics up there don't want unification?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    Last night BBC released a Poll on whether people in NI want a United Ireland

The findings are below
    Do you wish to remain part of the UK
    Yes 65
    No 17
    Among definitely vote: yes 79-21

catholics would vote

38% UK
    35% UI
    18% Wont vote
    9% DK

Seeing as few from the South have commented on the thread in the NI forum - I thought maybe if would get a better response on the Main Forum. Judging by the media in the Republic this morning, it has received little to no coverage, so many will be unaware of it.

So what do you think as southerns?
    With close to a 50:50 split in Northern Ireland (Catholics/Protestants) Are you disappointed that so many in NI wish to remain part of the UK?
    Do you even want a United Island?
    Is their a complete disconnect between those who want a United Island and those who wish things to remain as is?
    I wouldn't expect any different

It's hardly Utopia down here; us Mexicans even know that! Plus in general people are adverse to change...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mctree View Post
    I think it is clear the people of the north don't want unification right now. It is not the time anyway. Leave the issue now for a generation. Let them try and resolve their differences up there before asking them to join us down here. And we should concentrate on making this a true Republic fair and ran properly for the people. Forget unification for now.

Another point.. can we really refer to people as nationalists anymore when the majority of catholics up there don't want unification?
    no, but "we" never should have

nor should "we" conflate republicans with nationalists

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The question is redundant. We have an united Ireland. Both jurisdictions are part of the European Union.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Does it really matter what we think, we have no say in the matter!

However in my opinion the SF plan to hold a poll is nonsensical and I think that we in the South are nowhere near being ready for reunification and definitely could not afford it.
    Yes we do - under the Good Friday Agreement, the British-Irish Agreement and the Irish Constitution we very much have a say.

A United Ireland can only happen if it is approved by a majority in both jurisdictions.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast