Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Austerity, what austerity ? 50 extra councillors to be added in Dublin for 1m per annum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Austerity, what austerity ? 50 extra councillors to be added in Dublin for 1m per annum

This type of action is what brings politics into disrepute:
    Adding 50 councillors for Dublin to cost €1m - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 06, 2013

Surely this money could be better spent elsewhere ? Also of course sitting councillors will love it as it makes re election way easier !

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eat them horses, distract yourself with the proteins. Run along with the rest of the herds.

Oh wait?....

Well anyways, my tax money gotta be spended (citation needed)

Hey, don't knock that deal... It's value if ya ask me- 50 guys full time, oh wait part time? Oh well it still pretty good, they get lots done... Oh what, they don't... It's a talking shop, huh what ya know... Anyway, the country has loads of revenue, we won't miss a million, whats that, we have no money, and we could really do with more efficiency and less of this craic... Ah shure we'll be grand! What? We fecked... Oh well :P (Satirical)

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send Phil Hogan back to Kilkenny on the horse he rode in on.

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What people call "austerity" is actually:

1. Unemployment

2. Debt

There are exceptions - such as carers - for whom specific instances of austerity might indeed bring on hardship.

But for the vast, vast majority of people who are blaming "austerity" for their financial woes, they are actually suffering from a lack of a job and/or too much debt.

A €10 cut in CA is not enough to drive many families over the edge, UNLESS there is no income and/or too much debt also present. It is understandable that people would blame the cut - the austerity - when this pinch comes on, but it is only the proximate reason for their troubles, not the core one.

At least, that's my theory.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is very clear from this and many other posts on Politics.ie is how few posters know anything about Local Government

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    What is very clear from this and many other posts on Politics.ie is how few posters know anything about Local Government
    I think the mahon and other tribunals gave most people a good insight.

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, I understand that local govt. plays an important role in our system of govt. If we want constant access to our political system we require representation, I agree cllr's are needed, but honestly 50 more? I find it hard to believe that's needed? I might be wrong?
    (I was being doubly ironic in what I was saying above)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There will be approximately 700 less Councillors than at present under the proposals announced by the Minister.

As for Mahibn etc there were ( I think about 15 Councillors implicated ) 15 too many I would stress out of the thousands of people who had served as Councillors over that period. There were a few Officials mentioned too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do these councillors get big pensions?
    Because if not, they are much less a drain on this and future generations that those safely ensconced in safe numbers in various public bodies and quangos who will have the taxpayer paying for a very cushy life.
    At least you can vote a councilor out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast