Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Falkland Islanders are like West Bank settlers: Argentine FM

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Falkland Islanders are like West Bank settlers: Argentine FM

Well, there's something here for everyone in the house. The Argentinian Foreign Minister has pulled out of talks with the British Foreign Secretary after the British insisted that representatives from the Falklands Islands should be there.

Later, when one of these representatives tried to speak with Senor Timerman, he received the brush-off. Later, Timerman drew parallels between Britain's policy regarding "Las Malvinas" and Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.

Of course, the comparison is nonsense. Were the ancestors of the Falkland Islanders living there 2,000 years ago? I think not. Not unless they're descendants of penguins.

That's not to say that the current occupiers of Las Malvinas should return home to the UK. But I do think that the Argies have a claim on some of the oil revenues.

Argentina's foreign minister refuses to speak to Falkland Islander - Telegraph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The British should just tell the Argies to "fukkk off" and be done with it. The soviets wouldn't be pussy footing around with ludicrous nutters like Senor Timerman and the Argentinian government.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    The British should just tell the Argies to "fukkk off" and be done with it. The soviets wouldn't be pussy footing around with ludicrous nutters like Senor Timerman and the Argentinian government.
    What if the Argentinians has seized, say, the Shetlands in 1833 and still held them? Should they tell the British to eff off if London wanted the islands back?

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't help but thinking that the Argies would have had the Malvinas years ago had they not invaded. Now that blood has been spilled, it makes it much more difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    What if the Argentinians has seized, say, the Shetlands in 1833 and still held them? Should they tell the British to eff off if London wanted the islands back?
    Do the people of the Shetlands want to be Argentinean? How can I answer such a hypothetical question honestly? The Falklands are British but more importantly, the people who actually live on the Falklands want to remain British. End of story.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Give the islands to the Dutch because the first confirmed sighting of the islands was Sebald de Weert in 1600. The islands were called the Sebalds until the 19th century on Dutch maps.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Give the islands to the Dutch because the first confirmed sighting of the islands was Sebald de Weert in 1600. The islands were called the Sebalds until the 19th century on Dutch maps.
    I'd seriously doubt that the Dutch would want to get involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    I'd seriously doubt that the Dutch would want to get involved.
    Plus life on the falklands is tough enough without having to learn Dutch......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Do the people of the Shetlands want to be Argentinean? How can I answer such a hypothetical question honestly? The Falklands are British but more importantly, the people who actually live on the Falklands want to remain British. End of story.
    Well, an unstated implication of my hypothetical question was that the Argentinians would have brought in their own people. So it would be their descendants living there now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A fair comparison.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast