Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: RTE reporters at Leinster House after 9pm

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Colin M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default RTE reporters at Leinster House after 9pm

    Just watching David Davin Power doing his live bit from outside Leinster House and Govt Buildings (on the Magdalene report), and I was wondering why they usually do this, on the 9pm bulletin? Is it that RTE want to give the impression that the reporter has been 'extremely busy', all day with the 'breaking news'? Instead of the reporter freezing in the Dublin cold, when they could do their live piece out in Donnybrook.

    Given that the main days talking points in both the Dail and the Seanad finish up before the evening, it always look a bit silly to me.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Just to give it added style and realism. Nothing wrong with that.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It makes no sense to me. "Live From Where Nothing Is Happening Exclusive".

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member RahenyFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wernham and Hogg Ltd, Slough
    Posts
    9,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    RTE hasn't suffered that bad from cutbacks that they shouldn't send reporters a mere few miles down the road to Leinster House.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    RTE do this with almost everything. If you compare RTE news to the uk or American stations you see far more reporters on the news. The "news anchor" has a much greater role in just voicing over footage in most other jurisdictions. The RTE one always looks a bit naff as a result.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Colin M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Just to give it added style and realism. Nothing wrong with that.
    Where is the 'realism' part? The average person knows that the Oireachtas members have either (a) gone home, or (b) to the pub, by that time.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Most RTE pol staff work out of Leinster House... so going to Donnybrook would be a trip !

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Where is the 'realism' part? The average person knows that the Oireachtas members have either (a) gone home, or (b) to the pub, by that time.
    Yep, but it's where the main happenings of the day occured. It would be fair boring having all the news come from one room.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member carlovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,966
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Just watching David Davin Power doing his live bit from outside Leinster House and Govt Buildings (on the Magdalene report), and I was wondering why they usually do this, on the 9pm bulletin? Is it that RTE want to give the impression that the reporter has been 'extremely busy', all day with the 'breaking news'? Instead of the reporter freezing in the Dublin cold, when they could do their live piece out in Donnybrook.

    Given that the main days talking points in both the Dail and the Seanad finish up before the evening, it always look a bit silly to me.
    Ah David come on.

    If you don't like doing the late cold slot, get someone else to do it.
    I believe that children are the future

    Unless we stop them now.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member nonpartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Do you get an allowance in rte for doing an "outside" broadcast ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •