Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 152 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The surprising findings of the Magdalene Laundries report

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The surprising findings of the Magdalene Laundries report

Initial reaction to Martin McAleese's inquiry seems to be that the report is not as damning as had been anticipated. Ursulla Halligan for TV3 and Nick Heigham for the BBC have both just made reports to that effect. The Indo:

NUNS who ran the Magdalene laundries were given a sympathetic hearing as the inquiry team noted their profound hurt over the years of public debate.

"Their position is that they responded in practical ways as best they could, in keeping with the charism of their congregations, to the fraught situations of the sometimes marginalised girls and women sent to them, by providing them with shelter, board and work," the report said.

It went on to find that a play, Eclipsed by Patricia Burke-Brogan, about life in a laundry, and the dramatic film, The Magdalene Sisters, were fictionalised accounts and not a narrative.

"What we thought of the Magdalene laundries, it may be that was not true," said a source close to the inquiry.

Overall the report found that people's perception of living conditions in the laundries tended to be worse than the reality.

It conceded that, while conditions were harsh at times, and cold and monastic, routine shaving of women's heads did not take place.

...ctd
    Report: Nuns 'did their best' in the laundries - National News - Independent.ie

From the report itself:

Duration of stay (cumulative percentages)

Less than 3 months 35.6%
    Less than 6 months 47.4%
    Less than 1 year 61.0%
    Less than 18 months 68.0%
    Less than 2 years 73.2%
    Less than 3 years 79.0%
    Less than 5 years 85.6%
    Less than 10 years 92.3%

Median duration of stay 27.6 weeks (approximately 7 months)
    Report here (PDF Warning): http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Execut...%20Summary.pdf

Whether this early consensus sticks in the coming days, we'll see. And I have not yet heard a comprehensive commentary on State culpability. We know the numbers (26% sent to laundries by the State), but not the full significance in legal terms yet.

It's also noteworthy that the person in charge, Martin McAleese, seems to be so well regarded that there is no question about the integrity of the report. He deserves a lot of credit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin McAleese and his wife are very devout Catholics. Enough said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Listen to Matt Cooper now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ursula clearly hadn't read the report.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are teen homes alot worse than the magdalene homes up and running in america TODAY.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How does that let the Magdalene Gulag system off the hook?
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesnt - it fuels the RCC apologists who can now use this to claim "sure it wasn't that bad ye know, de nuns were only followin' orders". Expect the usual defensive tactics from John Waters, David Quinn and a fair few posters on this site.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 5th February 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    Initial reaction to Martin McAleese's inquiry seems to be that the report is not as damning as had been anticipated. Ursulla Halligan for TV3 and Nick Heigham for the BBC have both just made reports to that effect. The Indo:

Report: Nuns 'did their best' in the laundries - National News - Independent.ie

From the report itself:

Report here (PDF Warning): http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Execut...%20Summary.pdf

Whether this early consensus sticks in the coming days, we'll see. And I have not yet heard a comprehensive commentary on State culpability. We know the numbers (26% sent to laundries by the State), but not the full significance in legal terms yet.

It's also noteworthy that the person in charge, Martin McAleese, seems to be so well regarded that there is no question about the integrity of the report. He deserves a lot of credit.
    Yes, but wait till rte and the it come out to play. The anti catholic bias in their reporting will be unbelievable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was it another white wash by inner circle, for the people that rule Ireland.

The Taoiseach's performance in the Dail seemed pretty limp. I feel very sorry for these poor women.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 152 123451151101 ... LastLast