Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizen's Petition on Debt Deal

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Citizen's Petition on Debt Deal

Fintan O Toole is suggesting we sign this petition to let our leaders and those in Europe know we expect a deal on the promissory notes. Are you going to sign it? If not why?

We need a citizens' petition on debt deal - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013
    Last edited by Happytolearn; 5th February 2013 at 03:18 PM.
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope, a deal is only good for the govt, no deal is better for the people, in the long term,

And there isn't going to be a deal, no matter how many people sign that silly petition,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Nope, a deal is only good for the govt, no deal is better for the people, in the long term,

And there isn't going to be a deal, no matter how many people sign that silly petition,
    Surely 3.8 billion extra each year would do some good? (or 3.8 billion less taken out - whichever way you look at it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    Surely 3.8 billion extra each year would do some good? (or 3.8 billion less taken out - whichever way you look at it)
    Of course it would. But you could sign your own left nut and it would do just about as much good as signing a petition. According to the Government the petition we signed was the General Election in early 2011. More populist nonsense from Tintin O Foole.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dunno what deal you're hoping for, but that ain't gonna be happening,

And even if it did, the taxes and cuts would not stop,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fintan O Toole is suggesting we sign this petition to let our leaders and those in Europe we expect a deal on the promissory notes. Are you going to sign it? If not why?

We need a citizens' petition on debt deal - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013
    The ECB really valued their Independence and really oppose the notion that they make decisions based on political pressure, so I really doubt it will make any difference. The government also isn't exactly being quiet about the issue.

Secondly there isn't a hope of us getting a write down.

And thirdly the ECB isn't going to let countries start printing their own money (which is effectively what a write down of the Promissory Notes is), as the Euro couldn't survive if they did.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    Of course it would. But you could sign your own left nut and it would do just about as much good as signing a petition. According to the Government the petition we signed was the General Election in early 2011. More populist nonsense from Tintin O Foole.
    I understand everyone's cynicism at this point - but the way I look on it - it can't do any harm to sign it. A petition with 250,000 signatures sent to the troika could hardly be ignored entirely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    The ECB really valued their Independence and really oppose the notion that they make decisions based on political pressure, so I really doubt it will make any difference. The government also isn't exactly being quiet about the issue.

Secondly there isn't a hope of us getting a write down.

And thirdly the ECB isn't going to let countries start printing their own money (which is effectively what a write down of the Promissory Notes is), as the Euro couldn't survive if they did.
    Was it not suggested that they lengthen the promissory note repayment to 40 years - thus making it more affordable?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand everyone's cynicism at this point - but the way I look on it - it can't do any harm to sign it. A petition with 250,000 signatures sent to the troika could hardly be ignored entirely.
    Wanna bet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    I dunno what deal you're hoping for, but that ain't gonna be happening,

And even if it did, the taxes and cuts would not stop,
    It's hard not to suspect that even if someone handed this Government the €3.8 bn they would manage to squander most of it in criminal waste, quangos and mileage allowances.

Sigh..
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast