Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Ireland supported extraordinary rendition- joins Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan in helping CIA

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member mido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Republic Of Connaught 1798
    Posts
    3,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ireland supported extraordinary rendition- joins Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan in helping CIA

    CIA rendition: more than a quarter of countries 'offered covert support' | World news | guardian.co.uk

    Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition | Open Society Foundations (OSF)

    As reported in today's Guardian , we are indeed in esteemed company in assisting the USA in what the report concludes

    "engaging in torture and other abuses associated with secret detention and
    extraordinary rendition, the U.S. government violated domestic and international
    law, thereby diminishing its moral standing and eroding support for its
    counterterrorism efforts worldwide as these abuses came to light. By enlisting
    the participation of dozens of foreign governments in these violations, the United
    States further undermined longstanding human rights protections enshrined in
    international law—including, in particular, the norm against torture. As this report
    shows, responsibility for this damage does not lie solely with the United States,
    but also with the numerous foreign governments without whose participation
    secret detention and extraordinary rendition operations could not have been
    carried out"

    we should be very very very proud of our enlightened and helpful policy to this work of the CIA. I sure those that facilitated would love the chance to experience "enhanced interogation techniques" used.
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member rash mulligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    we should be very very very proud of our enlightened and helpful policy to this work of the CIA. I sure those that facilitated would love the chance to experience "enhanced interogation techniques" used.
    Or maybe they'd prefer to be captured by Al-Queda or the Taliban.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rash mulligan View Post
    Or maybe they'd prefer to be captured by Al-Queda or the Taliban.
    Yeah, atleast their end would be quicker and less painful

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member darkknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    from Guardian article:

    ... the OSJI's rendition list also includes states such as Ireland, Iceland and Cyprus, which are accused of granting covert support for the programme by permitting the use of airspace and airports by aircraft involved in rendition flights.


    It was universally known that Bertie Ahern, his Cabinet colleagues and fellow Fianna Fáil TDs were complicit in this.

    The utter hypocrisy of the Green Party on the issue of Shannon was breathtaking.

    The extremely muted response by the Great Irish Public does us no credit either! So long as those investment dollars kept rolling in, very few people wanted to risk upsetting the USA.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think the CIA is a fine upstanding organisation which does not engage in anything dodgey,

    and certainly not in kidnapping and tourture,

    And they defo don't monitor the Internet and blogs like this,


  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Misleading OP. One organisation, an NGO, accuses 57 countries of helping the rendition process based on interviews with those who have been through the rendition process. Also the OP mentions Mauritania, Morocco and Pakistan to try and lump us in with third world dumps but fails to mention that Sweden, Finland and Denmark are also mentioned.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member ne0ica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    8,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    CIA rendition: more than a quarter of countries 'offered covert support' | World news | guardian.co.uk

    Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition | Open Society Foundations (OSF)

    As reported in today's Guardian , we are indeed in esteemed company in assisting the USA in what the report concludes

    "engaging in torture and other abuses associated with secret detention and
    extraordinary rendition, the U.S. government violated domestic and international
    law, thereby diminishing its moral standing and eroding support for its
    counterterrorism efforts worldwide as these abuses came to light. By enlisting
    the participation of dozens of foreign governments in these violations, the United
    States further undermined longstanding human rights protections enshrined in
    international law—including, in particular, the norm against torture. As this report
    shows, responsibility for this damage does not lie solely with the United States,
    but also with the numerous foreign governments without whose participation
    secret detention and extraordinary rendition operations could not have been
    carried out"

    we should be very very very proud of our enlightened and helpful policy to this work of the CIA. I sure those that facilitated would love the chance to experience "enhanced interogation techniques" used.
    Good. Islamic terrorism is a treat to global peace and prosperity. I'm glad Ireland played a small part in combating it.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ne0ica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    8,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Misleading OP. One organisation, an NGO, accuses 57 countries of helping the rendition process based on interviews with those who have been through the rendition process. Also the OP mentions Mauritania, Morocco and Pakistan to try and lump us in with third world dumps but fails to mention that Sweden, Finland and Denmark are also mentioned.
    Heaven forbid someone tarnish Sweedens reputation as some sort of bleeding heart liberal utopia. If even Sweden was assisting the CIA, it shows the degree to which they saw Islamic terrorism as a treat.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Good. Islamic terrorism is a treat to global peace and prosperity. I'm glad Ireland played a small part in combating it.
    Is this the Islamic terorism armed, funded, trained and encouraged by the UK/USA?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Heaven forbid someone tarnish Sweedens reputation as some sort of bleeding heart liberal utopia. If even Sweden was assisting the CIA, it shows the degree to which they saw Islamic terrorism as a treat.
    Actually according to a Swedish parliamentary investigation,the swedish police did just that,the handing over to the CIA at Bromma airport
    Of Muhammad al zery, his subsequent rendition to,and torture in Egypt,was in breech of both Swedish and International law.
    The Swedish government awarded Mr Al Zery €350,000 granted him political asylum in Sweden whilst banning future rendition flights.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •