Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evidence of widespread match fixing in European soccer.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Evidence of widespread match fixing in European soccer.

Disturbing evidence has been collated by Europol of match fixing through bribery of players and officials.

Although those of us who bet have long been aware that certain leagues are best avoided, they have uncovered evidence that among matches fixed were Champions League including one - so far unnamed game played in England - and a match involving Liverpool where the other team were bribed to lose 3 - 0. Liverpool still could only score once! No evidence that Liverpool were in anyway involved I must stress.

Funniest one was when Bahrain played Togo in a friendly match. Turned out that it was not Togo at all but a dummy team assembled by criminals. Bahrain won 3 - 0. There have also been instances where Aisan gangs have invented matches and provided on-line 'live' reports to gull people into betting on them.

No evidence of any dodgy stuff here although I am aware of a few instances where betting patterns suggested hooky business. In one case FAI officials warned Shelbourne and Monaghan players that they were watching the game as betting activity looked suspicious.

Report finds Champions League tie in England among games fixed - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013

Widespread in the numerical or geographical sense? Given the number of professional matches, I wouldn't consider there to have been evidence found that it is widespread numerically. Yet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Widespread in the numerical or geographical sense? Given the number of professional matches, I wouldn't consider there to have been evidence found that it is widespread numerically. Yet.

In numerical terms, it is small sample out of the huge number of games played. As I said, bettors would tend to avoid certain leagues and in any event if there is a fix it is likely to show up in the market and the legitimate exchanges will sometimes refuse to facilitate the bets. It would seem that the bulk of the fraud involves Aisan betting which is massive and almost totally illegal and/or unregulated.

It would be difficult to fix say EPL or Bundesliga or Primera as the players are on such large wages that it would cost a fortune in bribes! Referees are vulnerable although it would be difficult enough for a ref on his own to fix a match. Notice I did not mention the other main European league

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    In numerical terms, it is small sample
    out of the huge number of games played. As I said, bettors would tend to avoid certain leagues and in any event if there is a fix it is likely to show up in the market and the legitimate exchanges will sometimes refuse to facilitate the bets. It would seem that the bulk of the fraud involves Aisan betting which is massive and almost totally illegal and/or unregulated.

It would be difficult to fix say EPL or Bundesliga or Primera as the players are on such large wages that it would cost a fortune in bribes! Referees are vulnerable although it would be difficult enough for a ref on his own to fix a match. Notice I did not mention the other main European league
    The other main European league doesn't kick off until March 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We know horse racing and boxing have high levels of corruption. Football won't clean this up when you see Blatter in charge.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been taken aback by the amount of betting taking place on G.A.A. games ,also. In my particular county a few of the top players have been consistent gamblers ,and the culture is so pervasive, some journalists have taken to quoting the odds in their previews of club games. Many of the elite young G.A.A. players have on-line accounts - none of this is anecdotal and it has bothered me for some time. In professional sports,the problem is greater because there is more money swilling around but it is a problem in modern sports, generally, and in amateur sports there is no sanction on people betting on themselves,their own team or the opposition. Have never heard Croke Park comment though the dogs in the street know players with gambling issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Disturbing evidence has been collated by Europol of match fixing through bribery of players and officials.

Although those of us who bet have long been aware that certain leagues are best avoided, they have uncovered evidence that among matches fixed were Champions League including one - so far unnamed game played in England - and a match involving Liverpool where the other team were bribed to lose 3 - 0. Liverpool still could only score once! No evidence that Liverpool were in anyway involved I must stress.

Funniest one was when Bahrain played Togo in a friendly match. Turned out that it was not Togo at all but a dummy team assembled by criminals. Bahrain won 3 - 0. There have also been instances where Aisan gangs have invented matches and provided on-line 'live' reports to gull people into betting on them.

No evidence of any dodgy stuff here although I am aware of a few instances where betting patterns suggested hooky business. In one case FAI officials warned Shelbourne and Monaghan players that they were watching the game as betting activity looked suspicious.

Report finds Champions League tie in England among games fixed - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013
    Check out Declan Hill's book 'the fix' in which he alleges widescale matchfixing by eastern gangs. He was interviewed by newstalk about a year ago.
    Match Fixing - Declan Hill - The Fix

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know of one former Dublin player who, unless he was winning and I doubt it!, had serious issue. There were actually suspicions about a qualifier 5/6 years ago in which a fancied team got beaten and there were allegations that they had bet against themselves. If they did, it would appear that it was trivial amounts of money. Bookies will not lay serious money in vast majority of GAA games and the exchanges only bet on the later stages of the championship to any extent. So there is not much scope for fraud anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can someone please explain just how do you "fix" a professional football match at the top level. I would have thought that too many people would have to be bribed, and the more people that you bribe, the more mouths that talk etc...
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On this issue I have always wondered about the 1990 world cup final. Klinsmann's dive to get Monzon sent off was laughable and Voeller's dive for the penalty that won it was truly pathetic.
    I find it incredulous that any referee could have been genuinely fooled by those particular pieces of dramaqueenery.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast