Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Should the Irish government make an exception to data protection acts and retain Guthrie cards?

Voters
99. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

67 67.68%
  • No

32 32.32%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Plans to get Rid of Potentially 'Priceless Resource' on a Whim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Government Plans to get Rid of Potentially 'Priceless Resource' on a Whim.

Since 1966 every child born in the State has been subject to a heel príck which is taken shortly after birth. Only records taken after 1984 exist after water contamination on the records from 1966-1983.

Now, the government plans on getting rid of this vital information.

To comply with national and EU Data Protection law, these screening cards from babies born between 1984 and 2002 will be disposed of during 2013. From 2013, this will be done every year for cards over 10 years old.
    newbornscreening.ie

But as professor of genetics at Trinity College Dublin, David McConnell said it would be:
    modern equivalent of burning the Customs House, or destroying the birth certificates of all born in Ireland
    This is the crux of the issue:
    It would also allow the health authorities to obtain a more accurate picture of the health risks of the Irish people as a whole, and this would allow us to introduce more valuable and effective health services
    This information can provide us with an excellent snapshot of Irish health and is a disgrace they are being dumped.
    Clearly storage isn't the issue at hand when one looks to the e-voting machines so it boils down to data protection.

I certainly believe the benefits outweigh any negatives associated with privacy if these records were kept.

Calls for 'priceless resource' of heel ****************************** test results to be saved - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 05, 2013

What y'all think?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Heel Pr1ck cards, only two weeks to get them back." </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 15th March 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Important link within your link, ru.

There is an opportunity for some parents to 'save' their children's data.

newbornscreening.ie

Edit: The link doesn't link properly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is the word Pr##k censored Hpab?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The EU meddling in our affairs yet again for no good reason. We should use the database to create a national DNA database for tracking down criminals.
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think the common good would be served by keeping these records which justifies a breech of data protection in this instance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    I think the common good would be served by keeping these records which justifies a breech of data protection in this instance.

What about the unwanted babies?

Will Enda be prícking their heels as well?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    What about the unwanted babies?

Will Enda be prícking their heels as well?
    Enda has enough prícks to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More evidence of the absurd legaleses this country engages in as NGOs and QUANGOS compete with each other to be outraged and engage in turf wars. These records should be kept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Porkypie View Post
    Why is the word Pr##k censored Hpab?
    The word 'adbl0ck' is banned too. I wonder why.

See: ******************************************

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We really need to stop this and quick.

Most new medicines are now been developed on the genome level, it is envisaged that in the not to distant future there will be the situation whereby medicines will be made especially for you, I think its called PPE.
    Most diseases are now known to be the result of genetic mutation, no matter how small this mutation is, diseases like Cancer, CF, Diabetes, MS, etc are now generally accepted to be caused by genenic mutations.

I plead with people to ensure that you either get your own, or at the very least get your childrens if like me mine was destroyed.

On an aside this information should be kept in a central database, where medical research can use the data, it could give rise for a wonderdrug to be developed by an Irish Scientist, that could generate billions and provide the country with employment and prestige.

I often wonder why are so against medical R&D in this country.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast